How Far In Advance Can You Sculpt Rkt To Cover W/fondant?

Decorating By peccles Updated 15 Oct 2010 , 6:31pm by AngelFood4

peccles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peccles Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 9:12am
post #1 of 10

I'm trying to get some items done ahead of time and want to sculpt RKT around PVC. I read the original recipe says something about storing in covered container no longer that 2 days...so what happens after 2 days?

I just want to make sure my "early bird" work doesn't fall apart at the last minute because I made it 4 days ahead instead of 2. Anyone have experience with sculpting/covering and letting set for 4 days?
Thanks!

9 replies
SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 9:59am
post #2 of 10

I only have experience using premade RKT... I took 2-3 days to sculpt the basic shape before covering it in modeling chocolate, and now it's still setting here on my kitchen counter five months later. Yes, months!

These are the premade ones, though. Heaven only knows how many preservatives are in them. They're quite a bit stiffer than when I sculpted them - but other than that, they still look like RKT's... I don't know that I'd dare try to eat it at this point, but it's still holding its shape, no problem.

Not so sure how a traditional RKT recipe using butter would hold up, though. But it would ease my own mind about eating them and feeding them to my kids if they didn't last quite as long as the premade ones!

(Note to self: If ever the urge to eat a prepackaged RKT surfaces, squelch it by any means necessary. The things are like styrofoam; they do NOT decay.) icon_wink.gif

Good luck!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 10:23am
post #3 of 10

RKT's made without butter will hold up for months, no problem. I don't recommend eating it after all that time, but the sculpture will be just fine. I made an armadillo for a friend out of RKT, she took it home and kept it for nearly a year before she threw it out. It had started to disintergrate. I add chocolate to the RKT to make the surface less rough, others have added chocolate plastic to it.

peccles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peccles Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 2:36am
post #4 of 10

Thank you both so much. I figured it would be fine but appreciate the first-hand knowledge and assurance!

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 10

I make mine 3-4 days in advance but use a little bit of vegetable oil instead of butter (butter will make it go stale quicker). I use about 1 tsp for every 1/4 cup of butter. But if it's not going to be eaten, you can make it as far in advance as you would like.

jeanniebeanie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeanniebeanie Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 10

I was just going to post the same question. I have never used RKT to sculpt anything before and I wasn't sure how early I could make them without them going bad. I assume that you use the recipe on the cereal box? It says on there that they should be eaten within 2 days. But I want to get started earlier than that. Will it be okay to make them 4-5 days ahead?

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 5:58pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanniebeanie

I was just going to post the same question. I have never used RKT to sculpt anything before and I wasn't sure how early I could make them without them going bad. I assume that you use the recipe on the cereal box? It says on there that they should be eaten within 2 days. But I want to get started earlier than that. Will it be okay to make them 4-5 days ahead?

Omit the butter and the RKT's will last for months (in this case they're not for consumption). You can also place them in the fridge, you want to protect the butter.

jeanniebeanie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeanniebeanie Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 10

It will be for a child's birthday party. So I want them to be edible. If I omit the butter and just put in a little shortning, they should still be edible shouldn't they?

Also, I will be covering it in Modeling chocolate. Is modeling chocolate able to be put in the fridge once the sculpture is finished? Or should I leave it at room temp?

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 6:08pm
post #9 of 10

i recently created a dragon cake(in pics) that i knew would not be eaten, he was sculpted out of RKT and i made a cave out of cake that would be eaten. i made the dragon 1.5months in advance. i sculpted him out of homemade RKT made with margerine (yes margerine!), let him dry for a day or two, then covered in RI (next time i might use melted chocolate instead) and after that dried the same night i covered him in fondant. he sat for a month and a half until i airbrushed him and added him to the final cake. i was also travelling with the cake 100miles, so the added stability of having the RK strong and dry was a bonus!

i used the recipe right off the box, with margerine. you should have no spoilage issues. HTH thumbs_up.gif

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 6:31pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanniebeanie

It will be for a child's birthday party. So I want them to be edible. If I omit the butter and just put in a little shortning, they should still be edible shouldn't they?

Also, I will be covering it in Modeling chocolate. Is modeling chocolate able to be put in the fridge once the sculpture is finished? Or should I leave it at room temp?

I haven't tried shortening but it sounds like is should work. Curious to see what others say. I just sub in a little bit of veg oil instead. They still taste good and the kids loved it.

I made some Barney dinosaurs recently in RKT then covered them in modeling chocolate. Since the cake had fresh strawberries in it, I kept the whole cake assembled with the dinosaurs in the fridge overnight and they did totally fine. They did sweat a little as it came back down to room temperature but it dried up perfectly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%