Help! Wasc Issues

Baking By JillK Updated 13 Oct 2010 , 3:29pm by JillK

JillK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillK Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 7

I've made the WASC before many times without issues. The last time I did, I noted the center seemed ... gummy. Baked, but gummy. (That's the first time I've noticed that.)

Now I'm starting on tiers for a wedding cake ... and everything's coming out of the oven with the gummy center! It seems very heavy, and since I can't tell if it's baked through or not, I don't dare use it. I'm about to simply go back to straight white cake with a little doctoring. icon_sad.gif

What could be happening? Any advice? The cakes are baking at 335 degrees, and past their usual allotted time!

6 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 7

Have you checked to see if your oven temp is off? It could be they still need to bake a little longer.

Becky52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becky52 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 7

I have to bake mine almost an hour and a half because our oven temp is lower... maybe it's your oven temp.

brensmom12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brensmom12 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:12pm
post #4 of 7

I usually bake at 350 and the timing depends on the size of the cake. If it is a really large cake I may reduce to 325 to prevent over baking the outside. Have you tried using a inverted flower nail in the center?

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 7

I bake all WASC cakes at 325 degrees. My 12 x 18 sheet cake stays in the oven for up to 45 minutes, 11 x 15 (35-40 minutes). I bake all of them at least 35 minutes, then add 5 minutes until i feel like it's done.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 7

I started having similar problems with my cakes and then I bought an oven thermometer and found out my oven temp was actually 25º less than what I had set it for. Now I set my temp according to the thermometer instead of what I set on the dial. I also started using flower nails in my batter and since then, everything is better. thumbs_up.gif

JillK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillK Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 7

Hmmm. I was using an inverted flower nail (three in a 14-incher, actually), had the oven at 335. I'm going to up the temp a tiny bit and keep it in a little more. I'm just baffled by why this started today, of all days.

icon_rolleyes.gif Murphy's Law, I guess. Thanks for the advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%