Has Anyone Tried Fondant In Cricut Cake

Decorating By madgeowens Updated 12 Oct 2010 , 11:59pm by madgeowens

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:56am
post #1 of 10

I tried once and it worked next time it stunk....what do you all use successfully, and do you freeze it? Also what pressure do you use if you do use fondant icon_smile.gif thanks

9 replies
madgeowens Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 4:09am
post #2 of 10

Where are all my cricut pals tonight?

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 4:20am
post #3 of 10

I use fondant / gumpaste most of the time so I can get the same color as what I covered the cake with. I cannot do the freezer method because of the climate here. I roll it out very, very thin on the mat and let it dry until it is firm. This is different for different fondants. Wilton drys the fastest, Fondarific takes the longest to dry. If I cut cookie dough I do freeze it for 10 mins. HTH

madgeowens Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 4:57am
post #4 of 10

Do you mean you use 50/50 fondant and gumpaste or that you use either....thanks for input....what pressure do you use?

Flax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Flax Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 5:52am
post #5 of 10

To all new circut users: I'm new, and have used the circut for four hours. Be patient. You have to get use to the machine as it is a computer, and you have to work with the fondant to know how to deal with it. I made my own fondant. It is good tasting. There are good recipes on line and in books. The fondant has to be very thin about 1/8 inch. After I rolled it out and placed it on the mat, I placed it in the frig. for ten-fifteen minutes. This helps a lot as it cuts much better. The fondant is hard to work and roll, but don't be intimidated. If it gets sticky, put some powdered sugar on the mat. Think of the fondant as a dough. (I took a portion of the fondant to reuse and practice making the different shapes.) Shapes 3 inches come out well. Don't get discouraged. Practice certainly helps. Have fun & good luck!!

madgeowens Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 6:04am
post #6 of 10

Thanks Flax....I just got one for my birthday and I am still experimenting....sometime its good last time nothing went right.....I will try again tomorrow

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 6:46am
post #7 of 10

i mainly use nicholas lodge's gum paste recipe in my cricut cake (http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/gumpaste/gp-recipes.htm) but i have used fondant before. i've found that homemade mmf is a mess in the cricut! i can get it to work on occasion, but its such a gamble its not worth it. satin ice fondant has proven to perform better than any fondant i own in the cricut. i roll out the fondant pretty thin, let it set for only a minute or two, and then cut with it. i live where the humidity is extremely high so freezing anything that will thaw and condensate is out of the question for me. i don't have any tricks other than that, just try different fondant brands and experiment. i think a lot has to do with the climate you live in. oh, and i usually set the cricut pressure higher than needed just to ensure a complete cut

madgeowens Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 6:51am
post #8 of 10

oh I have Nicholas Lodge dvd I wonder if that recipe is on that...I will look....thanks so much...keep all the great tips coming....its soooooo appreciated

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 11:53am
post #9 of 10

I use 50/50 fondant and gumpaste mixed with medium pressure and medium speed. I have used straight gumpaste and straight fondant, but I like the 50/50 best. I practiced for hours and hours before I was happy - but once you get the "feel" of the firmness of what you are cutting - you got it made!!!

Just have fun experimenting and have extra mats on hand!

madgeowens Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 11:59pm
post #10 of 10

I already got extra mats....thanks for all the help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%