Bulging & Unlevel Cake Tips

Decorating By KATHIESKREATIONS Updated 12 Oct 2010 , 1:58am by shannycakers

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:39am
post #1 of 8

Hi! I baked a cake, torted it so I had three layers. Then I filled the cooled layers with Whipped Cream Buttercream icing. Since I didn't have a ceramic tile the size of my cake, I put parchment paper on the top of the cake, then I took the 14" cake pan I had baked the cake in & laid that on the parchment paper. I then proceeded to add water to the pan to give it weight. This cake sat for about 3 hours. PERFECTLY level & no bulging! Hope this helps someone else! icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 8

Water + cake = too dangerous for me. A ceramic tile will cost less than $1.50

Donnawb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnawb Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 8

After the cake has sat for hours with the tile on top (or whatever is used for weight), and the cake then bulges, do you scrape th sides, or add more frosting over the crumb coat? How do you smooth out the bulges?

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 8

I agree - a pan filled with water sitting on a cake is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Glad it worked for you though

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 8

thanks for sharing, very good tip... although filling with water is indeed a risk. If tile is not an option, maybe you want to try filling with dried beans, chickpeas, rice or even sugar.. as it's contained by the pan, you can recover all.

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 8

Okay! Okay...maybe this was just a disaster in the making. icon_surprised.gif You all have me converted! thumbs_up.gif No more water filled pans on top of my cakes. thumbsdown.gif Maybe I really have been lucky, but I am NEVER going to chance it again! Thanks so much! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 1:47am
post #7 of 8

You can also set cans of veggies or soups in the cake pan to add weight. Or a couple of books.

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 1:58am
post #8 of 8

yes, once it settles how do you fix the bulge? resmooth the icing?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%