Kitchen Remodel

Business By cncsmom45 Updated 9 Oct 2010 , 3:23pm by Spuddysmom

cncsmom45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cncsmom45 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 1:04pm
post #1 of 4

We're getting our kitchen remodeled. Anyone know what needs to happen for it to be commercial approved? Do granite countertops qualify?

Also, what would you have to have (or already have) in your kitchen as a cake decorator?

3 replies
cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 4

Your best bet would contact the Board of Health and whomever else
would be involved in commercial licensing in your area. I say this
because it's different rules & regulations everywhere from town to
town & state to state! icon_smile.gif

gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 4

Be sure to check as cakes47 said.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 4

Yes, check with your local HD. In my case, when I started the process, remodeling a separate area of my home into a licensed kitchen, I was given the guidelines by my city manager and told "it's very easy to set up your kitchen, licenses, etc.". All the forms were quite simple and the cost moderate UNTIL I contacted the HD (because it all seemed a bit too easy) and discovered that for my county there are many more concerns - aside from the typical separate entry.

For our area, all surfaces - counter, floor, walls have to be a certain way, you have to have commercial equipment - that means a commercial grade oven, fridge, 3 basin stainless sink, hood fan, etc. Believe me the list goes on, what finally did me in was that after you pay the $500 for HD to look at your plans, they told me to expect a two year wait until it could finally pass inspection (of course you can't use it until it passes) and it would take at least $75,000 to complete (most are $100,000 here).

I went back to my city gov. and told them they'd given me incorrect info - and that's when they admitted, "well, we don't really know any of that stuff, we just told you the licensing requirements".

That being said, it may be a wonderful thing for you to pursue. Do check it all out with your local HD before you put any more money into it. Many areas around the country are much more lenient in their requirements and some areas will not allow you to bake from home at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%