Cricut Cake-$199.00-Discontinued

Decorating By bonniekaye Updated 14 Oct 2010 , 12:33am by madgeowens

bonniekaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 4:06am
post #1 of 23

I have been to several Michaels and the Cricut Cake is on sale for $199. The accessories are also half price. I talked to a mananger and was told that Michaels will no longer be carrying the machine, that it has been "discontinued". If you are looking to buy a Cricut Cake, now is the time. Also, you may want to get the knives and mats while you still can. This machine has only been on the market for a few months and is already half price.

22 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 4:15am
post #2 of 23

hi, i read somewhere that provo has teamed up with martha stewart on this machinge. The new ones will be white. Someone might have posted here about that.

jo3d33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo3d33 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 4:16am
post #3 of 23

Nice! Thanks for the info!!!

KimmyKakes4Me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyKakes4Me Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 4:28am
post #4 of 23

I predict they discontinue the line all together by this time next year if not sooner. Most of the people who went and bought it had little to no experience with cakes period, any aspect of the work at all, and now have expensive paperweights.

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 5:16am
post #5 of 23

OMG icon_surprised.gif I've only just purchased one from the US due to high prices here in Australia and with the dollar being at an all time high for us I got a great deal saving myself over $250. Why would they be discontinuing the machine? Is it just that Michael's won't be stocking this particular machine and selling only the Martha edition?.. or is Cricut discontinuing the machine altogether?? Oh my.. I'm freaking out here!!

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 6:29am
post #6 of 23

Won't you still be able to use the machine? The cartridges and everything should be interchangeable, right? It looks to me like nothing is different about the Martha Stewart machine...it just has her name on it and you get the cartridges her company designed.

http://crafts-sewing.hsn.com/provo-craft-martha-stewart-on-air-presenta_c-ct_a-2497-7695_xc.aspx#?&cm_sp=MarthaStewartVideos*Cricut-Cake*cm_sp=gridpromo

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 6:51am
post #7 of 23

I have been on this site a lot today and their were a lot of BAD reviews on the cricut. How much of a pain it was and easier to just use stencils or cookie cutters. How it's really hard to get used to and a lot of people were saying that they were wanting this badly and got it as a gift from their hubby's or friends and NOW WISHED they could return it as the it wasn't worth it..yet they won't do that out of respect.

Just putting it out there that is it really worth buying? I would look into reviews prior and there is a section in the forum about this with a lot of BAD reviews. From professional cake decorators too! I was thinking about getting it, but told my hubby today that I don't want it because I MAY regret it.

If you know how to use it or have a LOT of patience with it,,then maybe this would be for you! Just wanted to spread the word before you buy it...Perhaps, maybe that is why they are discontinuing it? I'm sure if they could sell it a lot, they would keep it in the market.

Jenifer

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 12:48pm
post #8 of 23

If you've got $ to purchase cake toys, but an Agbay. That's a tool you will love owning!

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 1:11pm
post #9 of 23

('m with Leah - put your $$$ into something that you will use on a consistent basis.
An Agbay. a CakeSafe, SPS systems - these are what I know I will use and I won't have to spend hours figuring it out!

Suzisweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzisweet Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 1:24pm
post #10 of 23

I just got the Agbay. I have used it once and already have a serious attachment to it. Worth every penny. I also just got "The Mat" and love that too!

As for the Cricut, it has it uses...along with a learning curve. Nice to have in a pinch when your arm is tired of an exacto knife. I know there are people who are very good at it and I wish I knew their secret as I would use it more often in addition to other techniques. As far as it being discontinued, I sure hope that they don't because surely they will stop all of the accessories as well. I will always need replacement mats and blades; though I guess you can use the blades from the other machines and strip the scrapbooking mats of their adhesion.

I agree with an earlier poster, that they probably fell on their faces with this because they advertised it to "non-cake decorators" saying it is so easy.....cake decorating is in no way EASY or everyone would do it. Alot of people who purchased this, I imagine are scrappers (scrap booking) and they thought it would cut as nicely as it does paper.....pipe dream!!

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 12:23am
post #11 of 23

An Agbay? I've never heard of this before.. I am off to google! I'm only a hobby cake decorator and I definitely don't expect the Cricut to make a wizz bang pro out of me, however, I am as stubborn as they could come when having to perfect something.. so I'm up for the challenge. Besides, next year I'm thinking of doing my cert III in Baking (Retail).. that covers cake baking etc. I currently work in a bakery so hopefully I could combine 'on hands' training with the certificate.

I'll give the Cricut a good suss over and if it isn't my cup of tea I'm sure I could fetch what I paid for it by listing it on Oz Ebay because we are facing prices of nearly $600 here for the machine!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 12:32am
post #12 of 23

I am also just a hobby baker and I bought my Agbay about 6-7months ago and it is the BEST thing I have ever purchased for my cake hobby. I would give up a lot of other things before I would part with my Agbay! Leveling and torting cakes is no longer a freak'in, scream'in disaster like it used to be. I don't do enough cakes to buy a Cricut nor do I want the frustration or the learning curve associated with it.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 12:32am
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

If you've got $ to purchase cake toys, but an Agbay. That's a tool you will love owning!

Ahhhh, it's in my wish list...I think I'll give it to myself for x-mas icon_smile.gif
Even though I'm a hobby baker and I don't do many cakes at all I still curse and hate my little Wilton cutter every time I use it...it's the most awful thing ever and yes, you do 'get what you pay for' thumbsdown.gif

paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 1:40am
post #14 of 23

Just wondering: everyone keeps talking about an abgay. What is it and where do I get one?

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 1:52am
post #15 of 23

it cuts cakes evenly....
well if people can't get the hang of it using gumpaste then can always take up scrap booking ....

andreamen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreamen1 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 1:54am
post #16 of 23

i have one and only used it like3 times and that was just practice not even on a cake worst $400 spend

grandmaruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmaruth Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 1:57am
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Ahhhh, it's in my wish list...I think I'll give it to myself for x-mas icon_smile.gif
Even though I'm a hobby baker and I don't do many cakes at all I still curse and hate my little Wilton cutter every time I use it...it's the most awful thing ever and yes, you do 'get what you pay for' thumbsdown.gif

I like my cricut and i am glad i have it icon_biggrin.gif

busymomof6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymomof6 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:58pm
post #18 of 23

FYI, I just called provocraft and they said the Cricut Cake is NOT discontinued. She said Michaels just isn't carrying the product line any more. I was in the store yesterday and they had a sign up offering rainchecks for them, so I'm guessing they have a bunch in warehouses to get rid of as well.

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 3:33pm
post #19 of 23

Question.

Do the Martha Stewart cake cartridges work in the original cricut cake?

madgeowens Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:54am
post #20 of 23

grandmaruth I am glad I have my cricut too........

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:01am
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniekaye

I have been to several Michaels and the Cake is on sale for $199. The accessories are also half price. I talked to a mananger and was told that Michaels will no longer be carrying the machine, that it has been "discontinued". If you are looking to buy a Cake, now is the time. Also, you may want to get the knives and mats while you still can. This machine has only been on the market for a few months and is already half price.

Do you mean that Cricut is discontinuing the machine, or that Michaels is discontinuing carrying the machine?

I was just at Hobby Lobby last week and they had a whole display, plus they were selling a one pound tub of gumpaste for the cricut that was $2 cheaper and more product than the Wilton gumpaste product.

I'll have to check out the cricut site too.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 11:16am
post #22 of 23

Bumping up my question. Anybody know is tgis being discontinued from cricut or just michaels?

madgeowens Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 12:33am
post #23 of 23

I think its Michaels may be discontinuing...........

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%