Seamless Fondant

Decorating By Isyboe Updated 9 Oct 2010 , 12:16am by cheatize

Isyboe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Isyboe Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a limousine cake out of Fondant. Is there a way to roll out the Fondant in 2 seperate batches and apply it to the cake...then have no seams?
I cannot seem to get the Fondant of the table and onto the cake without splitting it. I need it to be 17" wide and 27" long.
Help!!!!

4 replies
mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 5

i just rolled 40" long by hand yesterday and had to have help lifting it onto the cake (a submarine) but i got it done with no tearing.

if you can get help, i'd go that route. if not, i'd roll it onto a long sheet of parchement/wax paper/something to help you to avoid a seam

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 5

I just covered two cakes with almost identical dimensions. I rolled out the fondant to the size needed, rolled it around a large rolling pin, then carefully unrolled it over the cake.

If you have someone to help you, roll out your fondant on a moveable surface, like a giant piece of foamboard. Have your assistant help hold the board while you slide the fondant off onto your cake.

Or, roll your fondant onto a giant piece of vinyl, using shortening so the fondant sticks to the vinyl. Turn the fondant covered vinyl over onto your cake. Peel off the vinyl.

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 5

i've only attempted this on small seams, but i've dabbed a small amount of water on the seam, took a molding tool (something flat and rounded) then worked the fondant into the other piece to hide the seam. i did this when attaching the wings on my dragon, but i have no idea if it would work on a larger piece. on larger pieces i have always used the rolling pin trick mentioned already. hth and good luck to ya! thumbs_up.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 12:16am
post #5 of 5

I've never successfully melded a seam so that it's unoticable. I bought a small craft iron to try, though. If you have one you can try it on a sample piece. A hair dryer to melt the seam together works some.

I think your best bet is the vinyl and crisco. I've rolled out much larger pieces than you need using this method.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%