Uh-Oh, Do I Need To Run Back To The Store?

Decorating By SugarFiend Updated 7 Oct 2010 , 9:05pm by bakencake

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 8

Hello! Please help! I'm just now getting a VERY late start on a 6" & 10" tiered cake, and found I have about half the chocolate I thought I had. I usually make way too much ganache, just for the record, so I might be in a tizzy over nothing.

Is 56 oz. of chocolate enough for ganache to ice AND fill a 6" & 10"? I expect to reserve some to whip up and add Bailey's to for the filling. It doesn't seem like nearly enough to me, but I'm usually swimming in ganache.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thank you!

7 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 8

I would say so...even if you torte it multiple times. Wait! If you plan on somehow putting an inch of ganache inbetween each layer, you may want to refrain from torting too many times.

SugarFiend Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you, all4cake. I can return to my previously scheduled panic now. icon_lol.gif

And it just occurred to me too, that I'll need to limit my filling anyway, because my brand-new SPS just arrived today - so I'll need to keep it to 4" or less. Happy, happy, joy, joy!

Thank you again!

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 8

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 8

uh oh...that was supposed to be funny...like if you torte your layers 4 times each with an inch of ganache between, you might not have enough. But definitely enough for 3 average (1/4" or so...maybe even more) layers of ganache per tier plus more than sufficient amount for the outsides of each.

56oz...that's 3 1/2 pounds...that's a LOT OF GANACHE!

Edited to say: The quoting of whatacake was unintentional. It must've been an accidental click on the quote last post box at the quick reply area. Sorry whatacake.

SugarFiend Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 8:19pm
post #6 of 8

I know! Uh, I think. icon_rolleyes.gif I always, ALWAYS make too much - so I don't know what the right amount looks like!

Funny thing is, I scrounged up another 8 oz. of chocolate from other places in my pantry and threw that in, too. So now I have 4 lbs. of chocolate to go on a 2-tier cake. icon_lol.gif

And I'm still afraid I won't have enough. I need therapy! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 8:42pm
post #7 of 8

Look on the bright side, you'll have some left for an 'emergency' cake if needed.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 9:05pm
post #8 of 8

good news!!!! check it out!!!! I saw 5 ingredient fix and it was a tribute to ganache!!! and all the things you can make with including fondue, cupcakes, chocolate truffles and many other things see if you can google it this is the best i did
http://www.foodnetwork.com/5-ingredient-fix/dessert-bar/index.html

the episode was called dessert bar from 5 ingredient fix

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%