Question About Airbrushing

Decorating By TabbieCakes Updated 6 Oct 2010 , 4:13pm by TabbieCakes

TabbieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabbieCakes Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:24am
post #1 of 5

I love the look of airbrushing, but I'm wondering how much of a mess does it make and is it worth it?

As it is I hate using spray can food color (though I love the look!) because no matter what I do I seem never to be able to contain it just to the cake and wind up wiping up food coloring from the backsplash and everything nearby for days.

Would a booth really contain the overspray? What about large cakes?

Can the mess be avoided or do you just live with it because you love to airbrush?

TIA!

4 replies
tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 5

I bought one of those 3 panel folding display things - they sell them at Walmart or Hobby Lobby or Michaels for doing school presentations and stuff. I cut mine in half crossways (maintaining the 3 stand up panels) and glued part of a cheap plastic tablecloth over it. Instant mess reducer icon_biggrin.gif I just set it up behind the cake, spray it, wipe it off, fold it up and store it away till the next time.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 5

tiger, I LIKE that idea! I keep a cardboard box on hand that's my "spray box."

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 5

Tiger, I do the same thing. icon_smile.gif It helps a lot.

TabbieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabbieCakes Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 5

Hmmmmm. A spray box really works to keep it contained! Nice to know.

Okay, now to find the perfect airbrush set up to put on my wishlist. Any recommendations? I don't want to spend tooooo much, since I'm a beginner. Thanks everyone thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%