Difference Between Ganache And Truffle Filling?

Baking By kger Updated 6 Oct 2010 , 9:24am by AnnieCahill

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 6

Every recipe I find for White Chocolate Truffle filling seems awfully ganache-y to me. Is there a difference?

5 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 6

Depends what the recipe is... Many high quality truffles are made with ganache, it can easily be a good cake filling too.
xx

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 6

They are basically the same recipes using the same ingredients, where ganache has different ratios of chocolate to cream depending on the consistency you want and the type of chocolate. Once it cools and hardens, it is scoopable to be use as truffles.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 6

If you look up recipes for truffles, you'll see that it's ganache that's allowed to harden to a semi-soft state, so it can be rolled.

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 1:43am
post #5 of 6

So what are you using for White Chocolate Truffle cake filling? I'm not sure if I should do a ganache-y type of recipe or take a box of white chocolate pudding and heavy whipping cream, or go buy a vat of Bettercreme at Sam's and mix some concoction that way...

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 9:24am
post #6 of 6

If you want a truffle type filling, then go with the ganache. If you want something lighter and more mousse/pudding like, then you could mix pudding with the Bettercreme as you suggested.

Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%