Vodka Evaporating

Decorating By walterak Updated 4 Oct 2010 , 5:30pm by Dreme

walterak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
walterak Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 6

I used vodka and brown and red gel to paint some MMF the other day...it took hours to dry. Is this normal? I plan to paint a whole cake in a couple weeks but want to know if I did something wrong. I just put a drop of color in a little vodka. I needed it to be true to the color but still look painted...and that part turned out great...just long to dry! Appreciate any advice or thoughts!

5 replies
Sucrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sucrea Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 6

It usually doesn't take very long when I have painted on fondant. I haven't tried it since I started making my own MMF. I am not sure where you are so humidity and temperature could have something to do with it. HTH

Smallfrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smallfrye Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 6

Make sure that your vodka has a high alcohol content, and its not one of the high sugar flavored ones. The higher alcohol evaporates faster. But I have never tried it on MMF so maybe it does have something to do with that. Maybe some one that has will help.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 6

I know that this has nothing to do with what you just asked but here it goes. I just painted wilton fondant with black gel using lemon extract and it dried pretty fast. I dont know if it had something to do with the lemon or the kind of fondant (vodka does not last long here) but I hear that vodka has the same drying time though I never try it with MMF. hope that helped

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 6

I use Everclear. It dries very fast. And yes the humidity could effect the drying time.

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 5:30pm
post #6 of 6

I just painted a cake this past weekend.

I find that when painting with gel colors (I use americolor), It works fine with just a tiny amount water. Just enough to get the color to flow when you paint. I had a fan on the cake while I was painting and the cake dried completely in about 15 mins. If you add too much liquid to your colors it will take forever for it to dry. Use liquid very sparingly.

Also, yeah stay away from vodka with any flavorings in them and cheap vodka. In my experience with them they have horrible drying times and tend to mess your fondant and cake up. Everclear works wonderfully and dries in seconds.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%