Topsy Turvy Red Velvet Cake Recipe For Carving?

Baking By JacobR Updated 11 Dec 2010 , 5:37pm by conchita

JacobR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JacobR Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 4

I think I accidentally posted my topic in the wrong section. So I am posting it here to. Sorry, I am a newbie to CC.

Hello Bakers! icon_biggrin.gif

I am baking my first topsy turvy cake for my mom's birthday, and it is going to be 3 tiers.

I DO NOT want to use pound cake, as it is really boring, and I know she wouldn't like it. I want to use the WASC recipe for one tier, and then for the other tiers, I wanted red velvet.

Can someone please tell me a great recipe for a red velvet cake that is great with carving and stacking?

Normally, I wouldn't use red velvet. But, this is her favorite type of cake. icon_cry.gif

Thanks!

3 replies
SugarMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMoon Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 6:41am
post #2 of 4

Isn't there a boxed Red Velvet cake mix? I'm wondering if you could do a WASC version of it?
I'm not too experienced with anything beyond WASC for topsy turvy.
I tried to do a chocolate one using a triple fudge mix and it completely crumbled apart on me. I'm in the process of trying again, using half the liquid called for in the original recipe.
topsy turvy cakes don't need to be pound cake, but they do need to be firm because of the tapering. Good luck to you.

MJTKNT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJTKNT Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 8:03am
post #3 of 4

Macsmom's Red Velvet cake is delicious, and dense. Maybe you could try it?

Red Velvet Cake - MacsMom *If you don't have 100 mouths to feed, lol, just use 1 box white and measure out 1/2 of the chocolate cake mix, and obviously use half of all the other ingredients.
2 boxes white cake mix
1 box dark chocolate cake mix
2 pkg chocolate pudding
2 teaspoons salt
3 c flour
3 c sugar
3 c sour cream
3 cups vanilla coffee creamer
1 cup water
1/3 c oil
9 eggs
2 tablespoons butter flavoring