Iridescent Ribbon On Buttercream

Decorating By Tellis12 Updated 2 Oct 2010 , 8:59pm by SharonK1973

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 4

Hello everyone. I've got a slight problem I'm hoping someone can help with.

I'm doing an all buttercream wedding cake for this afternoon and normally when I put cloth ribbon around the cake I spray it with cooking spray (to keep from getting just spots of grease and looking gross) and it makes the ribbon just a darker shade of its original color. However, the ribbon this bride has asked me to use is iridescent and once it's got the grease in it, you can't see the iridescence of it at all. It's just a really really dark brown. I think the bride will be alright with it if I have to leave it this way but I was hoping to find a way to avoid it. Does anyone know anything that can help me save it?

3 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 4

You could wrap a piece of fondant around the cake tier first, then put the ribbon on that, but that seems like a lot of trouble. icon_smile.gif And if the bottom touched the icing below it you'd still get the marks on it, so it isn't a foolproof method.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks. I have yet to find a fool proof method for putting ribbon, grease free, on buttercream. It's kind of annoying.

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 4

I've actually put a band of wax paper slightly higher than the height of the ribbon (to avoid smudges) around the cake to work as a barrier and then put the ribbon around the wax paper. It worked pretty good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%