Please Help Me Choose A Turntable

Decorating By TabbieCakes Updated 1 May 2011 , 3:19pm by TabbieCakes

TabbieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabbieCakes Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 30

Hey Y'all,

I'm ready to purchase a turntable.

Any advice you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Love yours? Hate yours? Why?

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

29 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 30

I have the stainless steel rectangular turntable for Aetco.I love it.I have had it for about 7 years now and it is sturdy for slab cakes and turns nicely.I paid alot for it but it has been worth it..Don't spend your money on Wilton as many people say they are not that great!

pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 30

I have the basic cheapest turntable I could find at Michael's which is Wilton brand. I plan on buying a better turntable eventually. I do not recommend Wilton's turntable. Due to my budget though it was all I could afford. Mine turns but every now and then it seems to get caught on something and skips. I think I might invest in a nice turn table before the competition I have coming up in march.

manahigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manahigh Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 30

I have the Wilton turn table (with the green edges) and it works just fine for me. I'm just a hobby baker though.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 30

I used the cheapest wilton turn table for years and it worked ok for me. Then i bought a fat daddios professional turn table, and can't believe i the difference between that and the one i used to use. Kind of like comparing apples to oranges.

Just wanted to add, that if all you can afford is the wilton one, don't get the one that is raised up off the table, get the short one, the one that is raised is wobbly. I do know in recent years they redesigned some of these pieces so maybe it isn't now, but i would take it out of the box and try it in the store before laying down any cash on it.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 3:09pm
post #6 of 30

I love my Fat Daddios turn table.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 3:22pm
post #7 of 30

I love my Fat Dadios as well! Turns smoothly and easily, super easy to clean, and is sturdy. I can have a heavy 5-tier cake on it and it will turn just as easily as a single tier cake. I paid about $55 for mine, but well worth it.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 3:27pm
post #8 of 30

I love my Fat Dadios as well! Turns smoothly and easily, super easy to clean, and is sturdy. I can have a heavy 5-tier cake on it and it will turn just as easily as a single tier cake. I paid about $55 for mine, but well worth it.

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 3:31pm
post #9 of 30

Have the Wilton professional turntable, and i HATE it !!! The stupid thing is very wobbly It is basically a flat piece of metal with a post coming out the bottom which goes into the base. The base is very heavy, but the post is like a skewer... it has a pointy end on it. no wonder the dumb thing wobbles all over the place. Dont get this one!! worst $60 I've ever spent!

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 3:33pm
post #10 of 30

I have a CK Products Deluxe Reversible Formica Turntable, which is available on Amazon for under $45. I got mine with free shipping, as well. I absolutely love this turntable. One side is for round cakes and other is for sheets.

The turntable is wooden construction covered with Formica and moves on very smooth ball bearings. I definitely recommend it. thumbs_up.gif

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 4:07pm
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethkay

I have a CK Products Deluxe Reversible Formica Turntable, which is available on Amazon for under $45. I got mine with free shipping, as well. I absolutely love this turntable. One side is for round cakes and other is for sheets.

The turntable is wooden construction covered with Formica and moves on very smooth ball bearings. I definitely recommend it. thumbs_up.gif

That one's on my wish list! So glad to hear you recommend it. icon_smile.gif

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 4:14pm
post #12 of 30

Fat Daddio's turntable with the cast iron base.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 4:44pm
post #14 of 30

CWR41, I want that cakewheel, badly. But, I've never met anyone who has it and tell me how good (or bad) it is!

I just love stuff that can be dismantled and stuff that can be used for a lot of things.

do you have it?

I also have the cakestackers. Bought it just for fun. I don't like the edges of the pieces though. Looks like it could cut my fingers.

CWR41 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 4:49pm
post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

do you have it?

No, but it looks like one of the best on the market because it's so versatile.

Quote:

I also have the cakestackers. Bought it just for fun. I don't like the edges of the pieces though. Looks like it could cut my fingers.

Ha! I love everything stainless steel!

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 5:09pm
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceacake830

Have the Wilton professional turntable, and i HATE it !!! The stupid thing is very wobbly It is basically a flat piece of metal with a post coming out the bottom which goes into the base. The base is very heavy, but the post is like a skewer... it has a pointy end on it. no wonder the dumb thing wobbles all over the place. Dont get this one!! worst $60 I've ever spent!

Ditto.... me too have this and sucks!

imagenthatnj Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 5:12pm
post #17 of 30

I once sent an email to the woman who invented the cake wheel asking her about the weight of the base and never got an answer.

I just also want to make sure that it rolls without problems since it doesn't have bearings or anything like that. I heard from her video that you put a little crisco on the base where the two pieces meet.

I have "almost" placed the other about 5 times. lol. Then waited to see if anyone has it!

The edges of the cakestackers are rough. I am planning to cover them with something. I am not sure it's stainless steel; I think it's aluminum.

CWR41 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 6:30pm
post #18 of 30
Quote:

The edges of the cakestackers are rough. I am planning to cover them with something. I am not sure it's stainless steel; I think it's aluminum.

You're right--aluminum... not as heavy-duty as I thought. icon_sad.gif

Do you think you could grind down the rough edges? Maybe you could call them and ask what they'd recommend... you might find out that you received a defective one.

imagenthatnj Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 6:39pm
post #19 of 30

No...they're all the same... lol... I always order two of everything. I don't really make cakes, my sister does. But I have the obsession. So I placed two separate orders.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 6:47pm
post #20 of 30

I bought a lazy susan from Ikea and it was under $15 (Canadian dollars), it wasn't purchased for this purpose but it works great anyways!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 3:09am
post #21 of 30

I bought the plain white Wilton one when I first started. A year ago, my husband got me a second one for Christmas because he thought a second one would be useful. Every time they break or come apart, he repairs them. I am doomed to own and use these forever.

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 4:13am
post #22 of 30

I have a little wilton one, it's all plastic and isn't as heavy nor does it turn as smoothly as I would like. I recently got a "lazy susan" from Ikea that makes a very nice turn table for cakes. It's made of wood so it's heavy enough not to shift while I'm working and it has ball berings so it spins pretty smoothly. Plus it was less than $15. icon_smile.gif

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 7:55am
post #23 of 30

I went to a Resale shop and I found me a wooden lazy susan, a large one, and I also got lucky and found a small one...I paid a total of 3.00 for both!!!

I love them!!!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 8:27am
post #24 of 30

Fat Daddios turntable with the metal base. Worth every penny!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 10:22am
post #25 of 30

I prefer the lazy susan from IKEA. It is big and works well with me.

TabbieCakes Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 12:03pm
post #26 of 30

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm gonna research your suggestions and stay away from Wiltons! Now I have a starting point. Thank you so much. Really appreciate it.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 1:09pm
post #27 of 30
Quote:

I once sent an email to the woman who invented the cake wheel asking her about the weight of the base and never got an answer.

I just also want to make sure that it rolls without problems since it doesn't have bearings or anything like that. I heard from her video that you put a little crisco on the base where the two pieces meet.

I have the Cake Wheel and really like how it works (never had to put any grease on it - it turns very smoothly). The base is heavyweight, but I do put a piece of non-skid shelf liner under it (as I do with most turntables since I can be rough on cakes). I like the interchangeable pieces and use the one with prongs for dummies. It is pricey but I justified the cost because of the size and cost of the cakes we do.

Kahlua Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahlua Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 1:17pm
post #28 of 30

I bought a lazy Susan from Ikea, so much cheaper than any turntable I have found and can support a lot of weight - I LOVE it!

BabyGerald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyGerald Posted 1 May 2011 , 12:44pm
post #29 of 30

I, too, was burned by the Wilton Professional (heavy duty) turntable - it worked OK for about 1 year (frequent use) and became more & more wobbly even though it was perfectly level when I purchased it. Now it's un-usable. (Crooked even when not spinning!)

I suspect the "peg in a hole" design is doomed over time.

Now, I'm looking for a ball-bearing turntable. (Fat Daddio's or Ateco)

Cheers,
BabyGerald

TabbieCakes Posted 1 May 2011 , 3:19pm
post #30 of 30

I ended up buying the IKEA Lazy Susan and it works perfect for me. But then I only do cakes as a hobby, so it works for me for now. Thanks everyone! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%