Another Cake Job Question

Business By CakeDiva101 Updated 30 Sep 2010 , 7:14pm by CakeDiva101

CakeDiva101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva101 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 3

Well, I hope someone here will be so kind to advise me on this. I got a call today from a reputable bakery in town and they saw my pictures and wanted me to come in for a interview. Great!

My question is: If I get this position there (cake designer/decorator) should I ask for my signature to be on their advirtised cake pictures done by me? I seen it done on a few other places, where they have more than one decorator and every cake the bakery advertized had the name of its decorator on the pic (very discret). Would I be able to use these pictures on my own portfolio?

For you business owners out there, how do you handle that? It is not that I'm afraid someone will copy the design...they can do it anyway...I will be working under someone's shop, it is their shop and they can do what they want, but I wouldn't like someone else taking credit for my work. I would not do it to them.

I don't want to come across as a primadona. I'm an artist and my cakes are the medium to my art. I just want it to be fair.

I know you guys are busy so I thank you in advance! icon_biggrin.gif
Brittany

2 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 3

If you are employed by a company, they own any work you do during working hours (unless stated otherwise in your contract), so it's up to their discretion if they want to include your name. I don't have a retail shop, but if I did I don't think I would be inclined to include the name of the decorator with any advertised pictures, since business communications should promote the brand of the business, not the employees.

I would grant permission to use pictures of the cakes in the employee's personal portfolio though, as long as the description stated something like "made by Decorator ABC for Bakery XYZ".

CakeDiva101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva101 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you Jasonkraft! I appreciate your time! The permission to add the pictures to my personal portfolio will be suficient for me. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%