Sps Question

Decorating By SweetSyren Updated 29 Sep 2010 , 9:18pm by cakeflake80

SweetSyren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSyren Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 3

I recently bought 2 sets of the SPS system at Sugarcraft and will be using them this weekend. I am a bit confused though on the amount of"legs" it came with.  There are the 4 taller legs(about 4 or 5 inches) that look like fancy columns that you would use to separate the tiers.  It also came with 8 smaller (about 2 inches) legs that snap into the larger fancy columns.   So do I push the fancy columns into the cake and only use the smaller columns if my layer of cake is more than 4/5 inches tall?  Also, the smaller ndividual columns do not fit into the plate at all. Only the larger columns fit into the plate pegs and then the smaller columns fit into the larger columns.   What if my cake layer is shorter then 4/5 inches?  The fancy columns will stick out? When I bought it, the lady at the store told me that all the columns are adjustable but its not adjustable as I pictured it in my head.  I went to their website to look at their"instructions" but it didn't really help me at all. Am I missing something?  Am I thinking about this too much? Should I just bake my cake, and stick in the arger columns???

2 replies
panipuri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panipuri Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 3

Yo actually got the wrong legs if you cake is stacked. What you got is the grecian columns legs which are used when there is a separation between the tiers. What you need is the other set of legs that are either 4" or the 9" legs that are scored ( you would need to cut these with a saw or some power tool!)
I am not sure what the design of your cake is, but if it is stacked you wuld use just the larger legs that fit into the plate. You would need to cut the legs to the height of the cake.
You cant really use the smaller plastic legs as those dont go into the plates.

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 3

It sounds like you got the multi piece set. I just ordered mine yesterday from Global Sugar Art and already got it today....and I just did basic UPS ground shipping!!! Anyways, for 4" cakes you just need the basic 4" grecian columns. From what I understand, the multi piece set is for cakes that are either 5" or taller. For 5", you would just use the column. For anything taller, you would add the smaller pieces as needed. I bought the 4" legs for a wedding cake I am doing next weekend, but I also bought the multi piece set because most of my two tier birthday party cakes are taller than 4". If you don't have time to buy the 4" legs, you might have to bake taller layers, or add more filling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%