Sanding Sugar And Buttercream Bubbling . . .

Decorating By srs7874 Updated 30 Sep 2010 , 2:05am by srs7874

srs7874 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srs7874 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 3

Hello!

I did a bridal shower cake this weekend and covered it in sparkly sanding sugar. The cake was done a full 2 days before the event and as I was placing it on the table I noticed that the buttercream had started to bubble in 2 places. Has anyone over experienced this? We are doing a wedding cake in 2 weeks using the same sugar and I am starting to get worried!!! Any advice is appreciated!

I am having trouble adding the attachment but if you click on my "photos" button under this post it is the pink cake with the fresh flowers. The bubble is on the bottom tier. Thanks!

2 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 3

How much was the cake moved around when you were working on it?

When ever I have had bubbles form, they are usually the next day, but also after the cake had been moved from one counter to another then to another place. And yeah I've had them form after traveling with the cake.

srs7874 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srs7874 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 2:05am
post #3 of 3

Ah . . . I did carry this cake on my lap to the destination . . . something I have never done! It was a small cake and it was suppose to be a quick drive but we hit construction and there were lots of stops and starts. I will assume this was the problem and not the sanding sugar reacting with the buttercream . . . unless anyone else has any thought otherwise! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%