When Using A Silicone Mold For Poured Sugar...

Sugar Work By catlharper Updated 8 Sep 2013 , 5:54pm by jmaloney

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 11:15pm
post #1 of 11

do I need to grease the mold first or does it release without the oiling? Should I put the mold into the freezer first? Help?

thanx!
Cat

10 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 1:00am
post #2 of 11

Cat -

No, you do not need to grease the silicone mold before pouring the hot sugar in.

And do not freeze the mold before using.

Extreme temperature changes can cause structural stresses in hot sugar. The surface that touches the mold first may harden quickly, but it will probably crack or shatter as you pour more hot sugar in.

Also, silicone works as an insulator, so expect your mold to take a long time before hardening.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

catlharper Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 2:44am
post #3 of 11

thanx! What I wanted to know is if I should put the mold into the freezer right before unmolding or will the hardened sugar just fall out of the mold?

thanx!

lauriekailee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauriekailee Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 8:34am
post #4 of 11

you will be able to just peel the mold off the sugar...don't need to put it in the freezer - sugar isn't the same as chocolate, it doesn't respond the same.

catlharper Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 3:21pm
post #5 of 11

thank you SO much! I've only poured sugar on oiled foil, never into a silicone mold and I want to make tiles for a demo cake tomorrow. Not rich enough to waste sugar supplies so I thought I'd come for help here!

Cat

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 9:13pm
post #6 of 11

Remember that one good thing about sugar is once you've cooked it, you can always just reuse it.

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:21am
post #7 of 11

I'd love to know any tips u learned doing this...I'm also attempting this for the first time next week, and would love some input on how it went for u!!!

catlharper Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:06pm
post #8 of 11

It went perfectly! My tiles are not perfectly clear (something that you aim to get right) but for this project they are perfect with the little champagne like bubbles in them...makes them look shimmery. I did a little research and found that you should stir the sugar in the mold before it cools so that it will break up the bubbles. I used a metal teaspoon measure to ladel out the sugar into the mould and it worked perfectly. I would recommend a toothpick nearby to clean up any spill or edges before they harden. That's the extent of my work with it! <G> Good luck!

Cat

Isacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Isacake Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 11:59pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you for this thread, I have to do tiles for the first time too and this thread help me a lot!

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 8:22pm
post #10 of 11

awesome!! thank you! can't wait to try it this week!

jmaloney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmaloney Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 5:54pm
post #11 of 11

I need to do windows for a building I am making out of cake.  Can you tell me where to get the silicone molds for that and what do I need

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%