How Do I Learn All There Is To Know About Fondant Cakes

Decorating By tokazodo Updated 29 Sep 2010 , 12:49pm by cakeythings1961

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 1:42am
post #1 of 16

I really want to step up to the next level and learn more about fondant cakes. There is only one problem. There are no classes around where I live.
How can I learn all there is to know about making fondant cakes? Please help!

15 replies
Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 1:56am
post #2 of 16

Buy some good DVDs. I recommend Jennifer Dontz'. Great teacher.

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 1:58am
post #3 of 16

So is Sharon Zambito- Sugar Ed Productions.

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 2:07am
post #4 of 16

I learned from the amazing folks right here! Just start practicing! You'll get a feel for fondant, how it behaves and how you can manipulate it...

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 2:27am
post #5 of 16

Start reading and start playing. You can look in your local library for books, too. I've learned so much this way! I just bought Toba Garrett's book and I learned not one thing I didn't already know because of all the research I did on my own.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 2:45am
post #6 of 16

There are many great tutorials on You Tube.

snazzygem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snazzygem Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:06am
post #7 of 16

Ditto on You Tube - that is where I learned it all! Then I discovered this website and learned even more. I spend lots of time researching online for tips and tricks!

leilei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leilei Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:20am
post #8 of 16

try mycakeschool.com. I have learned so much it was well worth the $30 one year fee!

KimmyKakes4Me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyKakes4Me Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 5:00am
post #9 of 16

Hands on basically.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 5:05am
post #10 of 16

Seriously, CC is the place to learn it! back when I was a buttercream-only gal, I STILL read the fondant threads ... out of curiosity, just as FYI. when I got thrown into my first fondant cake at the very last minute (helping a fellow vendor whose baker quit on him 6 days before the event), I made a great (if I say so myself! icon_biggrin.gif ) looking fondant wedding cake! And it was square!! And I did it my first time with only 2 panic phone calls to a fellow CC'er, who calmed me down and helped me thru the first tier!

I was amazed at how much I seemed to know just by reading of the experiences and advice of the other fondant folks here on CC! thumbs_up.gif

tokazodo Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 8:26pm
post #11 of 16

Thanks ya'll, you've been very supportive.

Thanks Indydebi, you have calmed my fears. I guess I'm just afraid of something trying something new.

My biggest fear is about the gas bubble, side buldge thingy, and the cake settling thing. I keep reading where you are supposed to let the cake sit out and come to room temperature before you put the fondant over it?

I tried my little fire truck, but I wasn't very pleased with the way it came out.
The Captian Morgan bottle was okay. The Mahi was decent, but I had few mistakes in it where I put my fingers through the fondant. (I pieced together three long strips of colored fondant, rolled together and covered the Mahi that way.) By rights, he should have been air brushes.

I have a few baby shower cakes coming up, maybe I just need to take the plunge and jump in.

Thanks again for all the help. I love CC and that we can bounce ideas off each other and learn together.

malakainrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malakainrop Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 8:51pm
post #12 of 16

I still reckon a 'hands-on' class with somebody that REALLY knows what they are doing is worth every penny you pay for it!

Trouble with learning from the internet is that there is so much information, it isn't qualified (meaning : you can write anything on the internet, there is no crap detector and eliminator) You can start off following somebodies advice and have heaps of problems and think it is YOU - when in fact it might just be the wrong advice you are following.

There are MORE than one way of doing thngs - their way, your way, hard way, easy way, great looking way, dodgy looking way...... and NO WAY!!! lol

Before I get jumped all over for this - let me say that - YES, I do think the internet has some great tutorials etc. BUT I still think it is REALLY important to learn teh basic fundamentals FIRST! Its like building a house - make sure the foundations are SOUND before you start building!
This is where I see many decoraters go wrong - they want to jump in at 12 storey high building and they have NO foundations! then wonder why things don't go to plan!

808hedda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
808hedda Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 9:08pm
post #13 of 16
tokazodo Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 9:32pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by malakainrop

I still reckon a 'hands-on' class with somebody that REALLY knows what they are doing is worth every penny you pay for it!

Trouble with learning from the internet is that there is so much information, it isn't qualified (meaning : you can write anything on the internet, there is no crap detector and eliminator) You can start off following somebodies advice and have heaps of problems and think it is YOU - when in fact it might just be the wrong advice you are following.

There are MORE than one way of doing thngs - their way, your way, hard way, easy way, great looking way, dodgy looking way...... and NO WAY!!! lol

Before I get jumped all over for this - let me say that - YES, I do think the internet has some great tutorials etc. BUT I still think it is REALLY important to learn teh basic fundamentals FIRST! Its like building a house - make sure the foundations are SOUND before you start building!
This is where I see many decoraters go wrong - they want to jump in at 12 storey high building and they have NO foundations! then wonder why things don't go to plan!

As far as my foundation goes, I feel like I have a fairly strong one built. I aprenticed as a baker over 25 years ago and I've been able to hone my skills with cake decorating at home. Granted, I am not a sugar artist.
If you go back to my original post, you will see where I stated that there are no classes around me. The closest one is going to be possibly an hour and half away. First they were going to have classes, then they got canceled, now they are going to have them again, but they are still evening classes, an hour and a half away.

Anyhow, I do thank everyone for their help and their opinions.
Peace Out!

leilei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leilei Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 2:23am
post #15 of 16

I am telling you mycakeschool.com is the best!. YOu have over a hundred videos that you can look at stop and start up again at your convince. You can post a message and Melissa will do her best to answer AND post a video tutorial. at least go check out her blog she has a few free tutorials on their.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 12:49pm
post #16 of 16

Tokazodo, your cakes look wonderful, so I think you'll do great!!! I've been doing quite a bit of experimenting with different recipes in search of a good tasting fondant, and all that practice is helping my technique. I've never taken a fondant class, but I do have the Sharon Zambito dvd-- and Edna's tutorials are helpful. But lots and lots of practice is how I'm learning to quickly and smoothly cover a cake in fondant. And my neighbors don't mind eating my practice cakes. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%