Cake Supplies East Of Cleveland??

Decorating By madras650 Updated 28 Sep 2010 , 5:07pm by CandyLady

madras650 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madras650 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 14

I live 45 minutes east of Cleveland, the closest cake store that I know of is 45 minutes away, and it is horrible!

I try google and yellow pages etc, but am hoping that someone on CC knows of a great place to shop for cake supplies.

13 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 14

I'm in Highland Heights for 16 yrs. (20 mins. east of Cleveland) and I haven't found a "great" store..............

Sweet Surprises and Marlene's are each about 10 mins. from me. Mostly candy supplies and Wilton............$$$$$ for 2 lbs. of Satin Ice..........Sorry.

I do nearly all of my sincere shopping online.

If you find something out here, PLEASE let me know!

Rae

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 14

I'm in Ashtabula county (Conneaut) and shop mostly at one little store here in town, but they have just about everything from gumpaste mix, to americolor gels, boxes in every size imagineable, tips, etc. and they're more than willing to order anything that they know you'll use! They're very reasonably prices as well. I pay about $2.00 for a 1/2 sheet box and board w/ a window, and $.25 for a 1/4 sheet board and maybe $1.00 for the box. I can't order stuff that cheap not to mention I'd have to get 100 or more of each size!

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 14

I am 50 minutes south east of Cleveland....I use a tiny little supply store in Niles, Ohio. It's called The Sugar Shack. She carries all kinds of gel colors, gumpaste/royal icing flowers, lots of candy molds, decorative sugars/sprinkles, cupcake liners, spray colors, cookie cutters, icing images, etc. She also has boxes and such & some of the licensed figures for kids cakes.

From what I understand though...she makes a trip to a supply store out of Kent, Ohio quite frequently. She will pick up anything she can for you if you ask her ahead of time. I'm not sure what the name of this bigger store is, but I think it's for people with a business license. If you don't have one, or have a smaller store near you...maybe they can go for you.

BlakesCakes....Wow - that's a bummer...all that time you've been doing this and haven't found a great place. Sounds like a business opportunity for somebody!

BlakesCakes Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:09am
post #5 of 14

I've only been decorating for 6 years, but that's long enough to find it frustrating!

I know there are some good places in the Columbus area, but there's a break point with the time and gas involved, too.

Truth is, I usually get good enough deals on the internet that it all works out fine in the end.

I pick up the odd board or box, candy mold, bottle of Americolor,etc. at the local shop, but for expensive stuff like Satin Ice or some very specialized thing, I just accept that I have to order it.

Now, not that I'd complain if some brave soul opened a mini Country Kitchen or Beryl's here in Cuyahoga county!

Rae

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:24am
post #6 of 14

Yea, I'm in Painesville, and the two around me aren't that great. Marlene's and Sweet Beginnings are fine for the "oops, I forgot" item, but I mainly shop online for everything else. I hate to pay the shipping costs so I would love to find a store nearby that meets my needs!

While I have you northeastern folk here, does any of you know any cake clubs in our area?

sunsational Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunsational Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:29am
post #7 of 14

I live in Farirview Park, in Cleveland.Mardi Gras in Lakewood is good, the Mardi Gras in North Olmsted closed up shop suddenly and no one knows why, that was owned by the sister. Mars Cakes is a good place too it is on Lorain Rd.
I been to Tapp's Cake Emporium (they are in Parma )once cant give a fair jugement on them

careylynn Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:31am
post #8 of 14

Blakescakes, I was looking at your blog, and noticed you were at the ICES yesterday. So was I! I was asking around for fellow Clevelanders...sorry I missed you. I'm new to decorating and would love to meet others near me that cake!

BlakesCakes Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:44am
post #9 of 14

Wow, Carey, don't know how we missed each other!

I'm a member of the West Side Club (Confectionery Bliss on Facebook)--go figure! We meet in Avon (about 50 mins. from here).

There is also an East Side Club that meets in Garfield Heights. Karen Garback has been a member there for quite awhile. Outside of Cuyahoga County, I'm afraid I'm not familiar with any other clubs.

I hope you picked up info for The Art of the Cake cake show in Cleveland in Jan., 2011 ! I can't make it this year--DH & I travel quite a bit--but it's guaranteed to be spectacular!

Rae

careylynn Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 1:14am
post #10 of 14

Ironically, Rae, that is EXACTLY what I am looking at right now as we speak!! I'm debating on entering a cake, but not quite sure if I should go to one first without the stress of competing. I'd love to compete in the wedding cakes but not sure if my skill is up to par yet!! I've only done one wedding cake and that was done for the CC magazine (not even sure if it'll get in, it was for the holiday issue...keeping my fingers crossed).

Thanks for the info on the clubs. I'll have to check them out!

BlakesCakes Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 1:19am
post #11 of 14

Well, I tell everyone that if you're going to bother going to a show, might as well enter.

Getting the judges score sheets is always worth the price of admission icon_wink.gif

It's also fun to do something just for yourself and stretching your skills.

Rae

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 1:38am
post #12 of 14

My son got married in Gahanna this summer. He took me to this shop
http://www.columbuscakecraft.com/
I loved it, it had everything!

I am not familiar with Ohio, I have only ever been there once.
But I loved this store.
You do have to realize that the closest Michael's Craft Store is almost 3 hours away so...
I really get kind of excited and pee my pants when I find a real cake supply store! icon_redface.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 1:06pm
post #13 of 14

The shipping prices for country kitchen sweet art or global sugar art are really not bad and I always get the order within 2 to 3 days (I"m in Strongsville). When you factor in the costs of gas and running around IMO it's worth it just to place an online order and have access to everything you need and then some.

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 5:07pm
post #14 of 14

I live on the westside of Cleveland and shop and Mares Cake and Candy i Fairview Park and Create a Cake on Detroit Avenue in Lakewood OH...Mardi Gras in North Olmsted was owned by Marion and her husband John. I took cake/candy classes there many years ago and then Marion came down with an illness (I believe it was cancer)...good chance somethig happened. Last year I was in there and daughter-in-law was running the shop. It was a great place to shop on the westside. There was one in Parma (now called Jan's) but not related by blood, nor did they get along. I have bought things there as well but found some of the candy items not to be as fresh as Mares. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%