How Do I Know If It's Dry If I Can't Taste It?

Lounge By KayMc Updated 26 Sep 2010 , 10:21pm by KayMc

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 6

I made the new version of Sylvia Weinstock's classic yellow cake. Even though I always bake my cakes at 325, I followed her instructions and baked at 350. WRONG! I baked for 3 minutes LESS than she suggested, and my heart sunk when I opened the door. The cake had pulled away from the sides of the pan, and it barely rose at all. The cakes are even and level, but they're pretty slim - maybe 1 1/4 " tall. There's nothing to cut off like a dome, so I don't know how I'll taste this.

Shall I just assume it's dry since it pulled away from the sides a fair amount? I'd rather start over than serve a dry cake. Any advice will be appreciated.

5 replies
Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 6

If you think it's too dry you're not going to use it anyway, right? So taste test it. If it's dry you'll know how to adjust the temp and time when you make another.

If it didn't rise, check the date on your baking powder. If it's old, the recipe won't rise correctly. Also, her recipe calls for cake flour. Did you use that or all purpose flour?

KayMc Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 6

I did use sifted cake flour. I don't think the baking powder is old,but I'll check. And you are correct: I've already decided not to use it, so I will give it a check.

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 6

that happens to me alot with that cake.. I started baking at 325 again, you can also add more flour.. that helped me a lot.. and I noticed with that cake it rose, but it shrunk.. which could be due to quite a few things like over mixing, too much liquid (why I suggested more flour) baking too long

cakecraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraft Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 6

This happened to me once, and I didn't have time to rebake---but like you, did not want to serve a dry cake, not even to mny family. I used an apple corer to core a sample, lol...turned out the cake was plenty moist and I just filled the hole with frosting. No one was ever the wiser!

KayMc Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 10:21pm
post #6 of 6

I decided I wasn't using this, and took a bite. Yuk! The edges were dry and nasty! Inside not as bad, but not up to my usual standards at all. I have cake #2 for the day in the oven. This time just used my old stand-by, Heavenly WASC, but used whole eggs instead of egg whites. My sister in law asked for a yellow cake. She's probably getting an ivory cake, but when it's free...... icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%