How Do You Color Your Sugar Flowers With Dust??

Decorating By bmoser24 Updated 28 Sep 2010 , 2:12am by bmoser24

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 5:56am
post #1 of 9

What exactly do you use?? and is it dry or wet?? It looks dry, when I see ppl coloring thier flowers on TV. I have dusts, sugars and other color powders, but they dont seem to stick stick. Please clarify what works, i'm doing red roses, and would rather not color my fondant but color with powder. Oh, and would this powder come off, fall off onto the white fondant??? I dont want that to happen either.
Thanks!!!!

8 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 6:05am
post #2 of 9

what look are you trying to achieve?

painted look.. you add lemon extract, vodka, or everclear to some petal or luster and you can paint them on while on or off the cake.

for that light coloring (dry look) you can use a paint brush and use the dusts dry, just dip in dust and brush across the flowers. You do not want the flowers on the cake while dusting them.

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 6:06am
post #3 of 9

steaming sets the dusts, apparently... I have not tried, only because my flowers are not wired.. Don't know how to dio that!

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 6:24am
post #4 of 9

I like to use mine dry. I brush them on with a good paint brush, swirling it around a bit. Shake the flower upside down to shake off any loose powder and give it a second coat. I just like how that looks.

Good luck!!

bmoser24 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 6:26am
post #5 of 9

i'm sorry, i guess i want know ...what is the dust called??? What type is best? there are so many.
And yes, I want the dry look, I wouldnt color while on the cake, i get that, but my concern is the powder would fall off onto the cake while transporting. Anyone?

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 6:46am
post #6 of 9

petal dusts applied dry, give a matte look to the flowers.

shimmer dusts applied dry, give a shiny look

luster dusts applied dry, give a metallic look.

Is that what you were asking?

If you dry paint/brush your flowers, then do like auntginn said, they wont shed dusts on your cake.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 8:10am
post #7 of 9

if you steam the flowers too the colour wont fall off. for realistic looking flowers, you want petal dust.
xx

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 1:23pm
post #8 of 9

For really deep red roses you'll want to color your gumpaste first, then use petal dust on top of that. You can't get the dry dust into all the small spaces between the petals to color the whole rose, if you start with white and need to color them a deep color.

Sometimes you have to rub the dust into the flower with your paintbrush.

To steam, boil a saucepan of water and hold the flowers over it for a few seconds until they look dewy. For a big flower you'll need to turn it a few different ways to make sure the steam reaches all the surfaces. They'll look a little shiny for a couple days, then go back to having a matte finish and the dusts will be set and won't come off on your cake.

bmoser24 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 2:12am
post #9 of 9

Thanks All !!! Lots of good advice icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%