Anyone Else Gone Overboard?

Decorating By onemissa Updated 29 Sep 2010 , 10:15pm by Rosie2

onemissa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onemissa Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 65

Hi All,

Just thought I'd tell on myself, lol!! I have a baby shower cake due on Saturday for my sister-in-law. I think I may have gone a little overboard. There will be maybe 30-35 people there and I made a cake that will feed 60-70 people. I couldn't help it! I was given free reign and I ran with it. Well, I hope everyone likes cake!!

64 replies
PennieK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennieK Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 65

I have you beat! I mainly just do cakes for family parties and my designs usually get a little big for their britches. My worst was my Hogwarts cake I used 3 11x18s for about 15 people! No one left my house without cake!

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 65

We have all been there. I like for everyone to have a nice piece of cake and there always seems to be lots left over. I have learned to make the servings needed and let them deal with how to cut it.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 12:00am
post #4 of 65

Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt and fed the neighborhood! icon_lol.gif

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 12:23am
post #5 of 65

When given free reign I too go over board, I do this as a hobby my family loves it, its my chance to see how creative I can get

Molly icon_biggrin.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 12:32am
post #6 of 65

Fourth of July, 2010. There were 11 of us, I brought the 3-tier Sand Castle Cake in my photos. (And 7 of us left before cake cutting time, leaving 4 people to eat dessert.)

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 12:33am
post #7 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokazodo

and fed the neighborhood! icon_lol.gif

hahaha!! (ditto icon_redface.gif )

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 12:34am
post #8 of 65

The guys at my hubby's office get ALOT of extra cake. icon_rolleyes.gif

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 12:54am
post #9 of 65

My DH says that I live in mortal fear of running out of cake. icon_lol.gif

pursuing_perfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pursuing_perfection Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:04am
post #10 of 65

I always have more cake than needed. icon_smile.gif It sure beats running out of cake icon_sad.gif When it is a family function, my family expects there will be leftovers thumbs_up.gif

I can also go overboard when it comes to complexity of design. Why do an easy cake when you can stay up all night sweating over a new idea that isn't working as planned?!! icon_lol.gif

Speaking of overboard icon_surprised.gif ...this is the first time I have gone overboard on emoticons icon_redface.gif , but it was fun icon_wink.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:17am
post #11 of 65

Same here, rather have too much cake then not enough

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:30am
post #12 of 65

I do it all the time! I mainly make cakes as a hobby and I love to make them big! All of our guests go home with massive plates of cake and they love it!

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:01am
post #13 of 65

I have no grasp on "portion control" icon_cry.gif all my cakes are generous in portions. I always worry about not having enough cake....I like to make sure there's plenty thumbs_up.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 4:14am
post #14 of 65

I have over-caked. More than once. I have over-decorated. More than once.

I was cured of it when I over-caked for a baby shower for my daughter's in-laws. I handed the cake over to a family of skinny people in a room full of skinny people. Their eyes got really big. They had no idea what to do with all that cake. Me and my jello belly shimmied out of there as fast as possible.

cutthecake Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 12:49pm
post #15 of 65

I do the same thing with food.
I'm from the Ricky Ricardo/Fred Mertz school of cooking.
"Hey, Ricky, How much rice do you think I should make for four people?"
"Well, Fred, I think about a pound per person should be about right."

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 12:50pm
post #16 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

I have over-caked. More than once. I have over-decorated. More than once.

I was cured of it when I over-caked for a baby shower for my daughter's in-laws. I handed the cake over to a family of skinny people in a room full of skinny people. Their eyes got really big. They had no idea what to do with all that cake. Me and my jello belly shimmied out of there as fast as possible.

icon_lol.gif This happened to me once when I served what I considered to be a decent serving to a few painfully skinny ladies at my in-laws' anniversary party.........you'd have thought I had put a bomb in front of them!

SugarMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMoon Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:09pm
post #17 of 65

Ha Ha! I had to practice for my brother's wedding cake so I made a couple 3 tiered cakes for like 4 people. lol.
And the wedding cake! 4 tiers!
And everyone left before it got served, so it was cake for over 100 people and maybe 15 people were there... oh and let's not forget the 8 cheesecakes I made for the grooms cake. I made 2 of 4 different kinds. I was so sure that the first cakes would disappear like lightning and everyone had to convince me not to make a 3 of the turtle cheesecake. Yeah, I think I let the caterer take home 4 cheesecakes that night. She really loved me icon_wink.gif

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:15pm
post #18 of 65

I over cake for every occasion! My niece and my son have birthdays a week apart, so we always do a joint party. I want to go crazy for my son's cake, so to make it even I have to do it for my niece too! There are only about 20 of us but I always end up making two 2-tiered cakes. Also, for my daughter's birthday party with 15 people I made the Cinderella castle cake in my pics - it had a giant 12" base and two full 8" cakes on top of that!!!

Talk about a lot of cake! I ended up not even cutting into the two 8" cakes. Instead I peeled all of the fondant off and mushed up the cakes - CAKE BALLS!!! I made about a million cake balls and froze them. Now I can pull out cake balls and coat them in whatever color candy melts match the occasion. Her birthday was in March and I still have cake balls left - I can't believe they aren't freezer-burned and they still taste awesome when they thaw.

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:16pm
post #19 of 65

i have been struggling with the over cake issue for a while now...this is my first confession...i always knew i had a problem, but my fear of running out of cake was too overwhelming...

luntus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luntus Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:26pm
post #20 of 65

you all have me laughing so hard. I thought I was the only person with that problem. even with food, when we have a celebration I always end up making enough for at least 3 times the people present and no different with my cakes.
Now let us all hold hands and sing Kumbaya. icon_smile.gif
We need help!

Sarahbearah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarahbearah Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:40pm
post #21 of 65

I think it all goes with the fear of not having enough cake... I mean what do you do then when you run out. I over cake all the time. For family and most events.. Everyone has always said they enjoyed the left over cake that they had.. I was always taught that its better too much than too less. Glad we are all in the same boat here.. icon_lol.gif

I always look at the serving size and servings in a cake and I'm like are you kidding me... If I was at a wedding or birthday I would want more than that tiny piece of cake they give me anyways.. LOL.. icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe over caking is a good thing icon_smile.gif

Cakegirl313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl313 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:00pm
post #22 of 65

I seem to go overboard because I come up with soooo many ideas of what I want to put on the cake that I need a bigger surface to work on. Can't keep the imagination down.....

thumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thumbs Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:01pm
post #23 of 65

I'm in the same boat. I always make bigger then needed. I laugh at the serving size charts and so do most of my customers.

Luckly I don't charge by the slice but rather then by the cake size and labour icon_smile.gif

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:05pm
post #24 of 65

I do that way too often esp with wedding cakes. People ask for one or two tiers if they know I'm giving it to them as a gift so they don't trouble me and I immediately add two tiers to iticon_smile.gif Noone ever complains if they get too much cake. They only complain if they didn't get enough and are starving afterwards. As God is my witness I shall not let people go hungry if I can help iticon_smile.gif

eve81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve81 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:06pm
post #25 of 65

Yep I overcake too!

I have 10 cakes now to do in October and I'm planning for 2 of them to be tiered. The occasion? a small christening and a 20th birthday............I need to get a grip! icon_wink.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:21pm
post #26 of 65

I just had to let my DH read this! For some strange reason he thinks a 3 tier cake for 10 people is a bit much. icon_surprised.gif I try to explain that I really wanted to try something and had to add a tier (or 2). And you don't ever want to run out! icon_lol.gif LOL

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:24pm
post #27 of 65

...and the problem is??? icon_lol.gif

cutthecake Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:37pm
post #28 of 65

I've posted this before.
At this stage of the game, the only reason I go to weddings is for the cake.

And when they slap a teeny weeny piece of cake in front of me, I really get ticked. I want a hunk of cake--especially if I like the flavor. Keep the beef and fish and chicken dinner. I want cake. Why can't the wedding cake be at a buffet station? They have pasta stations, sushi stations, beef-carving stations, etc. I'll skip those and go straight to the cake.

Winnie_in_Wi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Winnie_in_Wi Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:47pm
post #29 of 65

I recently made a two tier baby shower cake, it was a freebie for a friend and to practice. I didn't bother to ask how many people - the cake would have easily fed 50-60. I did not attend the shower and asked her a couple of days later how many attended and how much leftover cake they had. There were 15 attendees at the shower and she said that there was maybe 10 pieces of cake left. Those people ate some cake!

I too live in fear of running out of food for events and always have WAY too much. I would rather deal with leftovers than have people hungry. I once was in a bridesmaid in a wedding and was maybe 10 minutes behind the hoard arriving at the reception and when I got there discovered that EVERY appetizer was gone! (there was no meal) It's a good thing the reason I was late was because I went through a Burger King because I was starving having been at the church since 4 pm and it was 7:00. I don't remember eating the cake but I'm guessing there wasn't enough of that either.

lacklin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lacklin Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 3:10pm
post #30 of 65

I always overcake too and everyone in my family knows this. Everyone at work knows this too and so far no complaints.

Although I do think when I brought a two tiered cake to a Fourth of July party consisting of 3 people (myself included) that I may have gone a bit overboard.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%