Do You Choose What Type Of Icing? Or Does Your Customer?

Business By Motta Updated 24 Sep 2010 , 1:21am by pattycakesnj

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 16

I'm offering american buttercream, italian meringue buttercream or ganache. I usually pair the cake to the icing at my discretion. No one's complained so far but I see that some businesses only use one type of buttercream eg. SMBC.

I often choose the buttercream for the type of party eg. kid's cake = american buttercream.

This is just an informal poll to see what you all are doing?

15 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 16

I only have one buttercream...MINE, they can choose any flavor BC that I offer, or they can choose a poured or iced ganache in Dark, Milk, or white chocolate varieties and can be flavored with lorann flavors, or rolled fondant in various flavors or modeling chocolate. Some designs do dictate what icing can be used but otherwise it is the customers choice.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 16

Customers choice.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 16

We have two types of "American" BC: - one dairy-free (made using a vegan soy-based margarine) and one dairy-free and soy-free (made with palm oil shortening). We also offer real cream cheese and dairy-free cream cheese frosting. Other than those options (which are dictated by whether or not the customer has a soy allergy) we do not give the customer a choice as to the type of BC, although we do have a number of different flavors via extracts. No meringue, no whipped cream, ganache only as a filling.

We were initially experimenting with different types of BC (including a dairy-free/soy-free lard-based recipe which was pretty good) but in the end it's much easier to simplify so you can make a large batch of frosting that will work for most of your products.

KimmyKakes4Me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyKakes4Me Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 16

Meringue only ever period end of sentence. Or ganache. That's it.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 16

I offer a few different kinds, I personally prefer the meringue buttercreams, but a lot of people around here like the super-sweet ones. I let them choose unless it's going to be outside in the summer, then they can have fondant, fondant or fondant.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 8:31pm
post #7 of 16

I use imbc, american buttercream or french buttercream, ganache and fondant. But of course for 3-d cakes you can only get fondant

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 8:40pm
post #8 of 16

I have 2, regular and chocolate..never had an issue with it.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 9:11pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I offer a few different kinds, I personally prefer the meringue buttercreams, but a lot of people around here like the super-sweet ones. I let them choose unless it's going to be outside in the summer, then they can have fondant, fondant or fondant.

Ha ha - good point! That should be decorator's choice in the summertime. I forgot to mention it but I do offer fondant, of course.

Edna - Wow, only 2 choices and your business is booming! That's so interesting in these days of gourmet choices. I would think it makes it so much easier for your bakery to produce the cakes, just like Jason wrote.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 9:55pm
post #10 of 16

I offer american, IMBC, whipped icing, cream cheese, fondant and ganache.

People like the choices. Whipped, Cream Cheese and American Buttercream are not extra.
IMBC, Ganache, and Fondant are upcharges. I almost always do american or whipped for celebration cakes, unless they are specialty. I have a few customers who prefer the other icings and are willing to pay. Bridal customers will often choose the IMBC or Fondant.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 10:01pm
post #11 of 16

I offer american buttercream, creamcheese, ganache, fondant, cinnamon buttercream and cooked icing (mary kay).

The customer in the end picks, but around here buttercream and fondant are the only things that people really know (and fondant only because of the cake shows on tv). So if they order a flavor that one of the other icings goes with well then i suggest it. Most of the time they go with my suggestion and love it. They're just uninformed about the other types of icing, so like indydebi says in other situations, we just have to inform them! Most people around here don't even know what ganache is.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 10:09pm
post #12 of 16

I give them the choice...and charge extra for the fancier types.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 10:12pm
post #13 of 16

I find that most of the time the customer is surprised to even have a choice. They think "White Icing" is the only option out there.

I'll explain their options, most of mine are variations of American Buttercream, but I do offer IMBC, ganache and a very light whipped frosting.

But, most of the time, the end up with.. ohhh just the White Icing... icon_rolleyes.gif But it's darn good 'white icing' !!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 11:54pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motta

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Ha ha - good point! That should be decorator's choice in the summertime. I forgot to mention it but I do offer fondant, of course.

Edna - Wow, only 2 choices and your business is booming! That's so interesting in these days of gourmet choices. I would think it makes it so much easier for your bakery to produce the cakes, just like Jason wrote.

It does make it easier. And if there are no choices people dont even think about it. Once in a blue moon someone will ask for a cake iced with a whipped cream kind of buttercream. But that's rare.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:06am
post #15 of 16

I have my own recipe buttercream that I use. I can flavor it to match the cake if that is what's requested. I also offer a chocolate version of it. I also use Rich's Bettercreme if someone wants a whipped icing. I do make cream cheese icing and other perishable ones for my personal cakes, but I am a cottage baker so I cannot sell it.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:21am
post #16 of 16

Customer's choice though I often suggest what pairs well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%