Where Do I Find Wholesale Bulk Ingredients For New Business?

Business By KTA0586 Updated 23 Sep 2010 , 5:41pm by jason_kraft

KTA0586 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTA0586 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 2

Hello fellow enthusiasts!!
I am starting a cupcake business in Colorado and would really appreciate any advice anyone has as to where to find wholesale/bulk cupcake ingredients. Most of my recipes are cake mix based, so the rest of the ingredients usually involve milk, eggs and oil as the base. Is there any way to get Betty Crocker or any of the other cake mix companies to send me bulk cake mixes at wholesale prices?
One of the aspects of my business is that I want to use as many products from local farmers/suppliers as possible to support local business. I have had a really hard time finding out how or even where to look in terms of finding both local and national distributors for my ingredients.
I have also heard that Costco does a good job of helping out businesses with getting wholesale bulk items? anyone have experience with that?

Sorry so scattered with so many questions, but any help would be much appreciated!
Thank you!

1 reply
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 2

Amazon.com sells several items in bulk in their grocery section (including cake mixes), they often have pretty good deals. Unless you will be buying hundreds of boxes of cake mixes at a time, you won't be able to get wholesale pricing directly from the manufacturer.

In addition to Costco and Smart & Final, we also buy bulk ingredients from local Cash & Carry stores and a restaurant supply store. For harder-to-find items (such as 50-pound blocks of Sweetex Z), we buy directly from BakeMark, a regional distributor of baking supplies.

There's a BakeMark location in Denver:
4919 Kingston Street
Denver, CO 80239
Tel: (303) 375-1041

If you're looking for local milk and eggs, try checking out a few farmer's markets. You may be able to make deals with some of the farmers there to buy in bulk.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%