Can You Recommend A Good (Great?) Dishwasher?

Lounge By Annabakescakes Updated 19 Oct 2010 , 2:51pm by BethLS

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 8:08am
post #1 of 14

I HATE my dishwasher!!! 90% of items come out just as dirty as when they were put in, if not dirtier. Glasses are spotty and chunky. I am VERY particular about clean dishes so I do all dishes for a family of 6 (3 meals a day, (4 kids homeschooled)) by hand, so they are immaculate, and I drip dry them in my dishwasher. It is a two tier drying rack!!! But if I don't run it every now and then, it gets stinky.

I have used the dishwasher cleaners you stick in and run empty, I use rinse agent, I use Cascade Complete (Consumer reports best buy), never generic. I have even taken the hose apart from in the basement and used compressed air to clean it out. Nothing works, and I either have all my dishes clean and laundry stacked up, or the other way around, or both half done!

I want one where I can load it all day without too much scrubbing and run it after dinner and have at least 90% of the dishes sparkling clean. We have a very open floor plan, so it can't be too loud. I am so sick of the mess and the exhaustion, please help!!

Thank you!

13 replies
heidemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidemarie Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 11:32am
post #2 of 14

Hello Annabakescakes, i have a KitchenAid. Bought it 17 Years ago still runs like new.

tazmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tazmycat Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 14

I read in the paper this weekend that the makers of the stuff you use in your dishwasher now a lot of them are made w/o phosphates (I think that is what it is) and consequently, the dishes are spotty and don't look clean. Maybe that is part of your problem.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 14

Do you have hard water? I do, and it makes it harder for the dishwasher to get dishes clean, especially over time as the lime builds up and less water comes out. Every six months I buy a couple gallons of vinegar and pour them into the dishwasher, then run it. Don't put soap in if you try it...dishwasher soap has bleach and can't be used with vinegar. I still rinse all the dishes before I put them in the dishwasher, and I use the expensive little square packets of soap that have the enzymes in them.

I use styrofoam plates for all meals except dinner, and I use plastic utensils. It seems a little more expensive, but saves on water and the electricity that it takes to run the dishwasher every day. It also makes me feel less like a slave to the kitchen sink icon_biggrin.gif And the kids don't cut themselves if they drop a styrofoam plate.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 14

Also, if you have hard water, use LemiShine. And if it's the dishwasher itself and you've already decided to buy, we went with Kenmore. It was highly recommended by Consumer Reports and had a decent price. icon_smile.gif

Good luck!!!

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 14

Before I bought my last dishwasherI asked a couple of repairmen what they would buy, and each one said Bosh. Well, I had gotten an LG super quiet one before I got my Bosh. My LG was a big lemon. The Bosh is very quiet and hardworking. Stainless steel interior, the only thing it doesn't have is a disposal. All I do is scrap large scraps off and that is all I do. No pre scrubbing. I hope this one last for a long time. I bought mine at Best Buy.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 10:15pm
post #7 of 14

Love our Bosch...quiet, does a great job.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 11:51pm
post #8 of 14

I also have a Bosch. LOVE it. All stainless steel, no heating element. Mine is an energy star model. Our water bill actually went DOWN after buying it. It uses less water than what I used hand washing them.

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 12:29am
post #9 of 14

Bosch, Bosch, BOSCH!! Love mine; I got it 12 years ago at a Sears outlet store...it had a big scratch on the side, do you see the side - nope! icon_biggrin.gif

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 6:30pm
post #10 of 14

I never got an an update that anyone replied! I thought everyone was ignoring me lol! Thank you all for your replies.

I had also narrowed it down between a Bosch and a Kitchen-Aid due to reviews online. My current dish washer that came with the house is 20 years old and doesn't drain all the way. Just a shallow puddle of water, and small chunks floating in it!

I figure that if I have to wash the dishes first, I might as well rinse them too, then let them drain an put them away. I just want to scrape them and pop them in, and walk away! I think I found a kitchen aide that is actually on sale and in black, to match my kitchen. Does $600 sound like the right amount of money to spend on a dishwasher? It just has to work!!!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 9:09pm
post #11 of 14

I have a maytag have had it for about 7 years its one of the best things my hubby ever bought for me. the main thing i wanted when we bought our dishwasher was stainless steal interior, i can't stand the smell of the plastic interior washers, if that was all i had to pick from i would still be doing all my dishes by hand.

When it needs to be replaced i will go the extra mile and get a bosch.

DerrellC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DerrellC Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:36am
post #12 of 14

My wife laughed, she thought I was was the best dishwasher !! She said she paid enough for me I should be good !!!! LOL

BOSCH.........

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:43pm
post #13 of 14

We had a Maytag and it was awful, never cleaned the dishes, was super loud anyways it didn't last more than 2 years..Last year I stumbled upon a deal online for a Bosch and it was the best 250$ I spent! Stainless steel interior, super quiet and actually cleans the dishes! Just shop around and take your time, I shopped around for at least 4 months before finding mine..

BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:51pm
post #14 of 14

I have a new (well it was new when I bought it a year ago) Frigidaire. LOVE IT.

HOWEVER, you may still have ongoing issues with your washer if your hot water heater is not functioning properly. (ask me how I know icon_cry.gif)

Once I replaced our hot water heater, the washer went back to its wonderful self.

(and ours had the symptoms you are experiencing; chunkies, not draining, ect ect ect. It was ALL due to poor water heater and sediment, ect)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%