Help!!! I Just Received A Huge Cake Order... Need Advice!!!

Decorating By DivaWeava Updated 1 Oct 2010 , 4:32pm by deMuralist

DivaWeava Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DivaWeava Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 12

Okay, so I just received a huge cake order for the 29th of October. At least the order is big for me.

I was asked to make a 3 tier topsy turvy, 1000 mini cupcakes, and 100 or so cake balls.

I would like some advice on how to prepare for this order.

I want to be sure that everything tastes fresh and wonderful, so I don't want to make it too far in advance, but I know that I have to start early, or it will never get done.

Any suggestions on when to start making the cupcakes??? Do the mini's freeze well, and for how long?

How far in advance can I make the cake balls, and have them still taste great?

I think that I will start the cakes for the topsy turvy, and get them carved and possibly freeze them until a few days before the event.

Any suggestions on preparing large quantity orders would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Jaycee (0:

11 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 12

The freezer is your best friend icon_smile.gif

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 12

freeze freeze freeze !!!... that's all I can say

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 12

You need an unpaid intern

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 12

You can freeze undipped cake balls for at least a month, probably more, with absolutely no loss of flavor or moisture, I do it all the time because one of my recipes makes 300 balls, so I only dip as I need to. Once dipped I think they are best eaten before they reach the 7 day mark, because that is just about when the chocolate loses its snap when you bite into it. Although you can freeze them dipped, I think they are better not.

Cake in general freezes extremely well if well wrapped, I think it actually is slightly better because it locks in the moisture (I wrap and freeze as soon as I can easily handle the cake.) no reason why the minis would not freeze well.

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 7:51pm
post #6 of 12

If I were you:

Up to 2 weeks before make cupcakes pour batter in paper caplets accommodated on a tray and place on freezer, once frozen ziplock them.
Next, do the same process with molds for the topsy-turvy. Cover tight with saran wrap, freeze.
Next bake cake and roll balls. Freeze on trays, when frozen ziplock.
Prepare fondant or gum-paste decorations as needed, air dry or keep between layers of saran wrap.

On the third day before the event take balls out of the freezer, dip, sprinkle and back to refrigerate.
That night take cupcakes and cakes out the freezer, accommodate on trays and let sit on refrigerator.
Next day before (day 2 before event) bake the cakes, let cool and prepare for carving put back on freezer
Bake and let cool cupcakes
Decorate cake balls (swirls, pipe or second partial dip)
Ice and toppers on cupcakes
Dedicate day before to carve, cover and decorate topsy-turvy

Hope this planner is of some help icon_smile.gif GOOD BAKING!

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 8:03pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by m :ayo2222

You need an unpaid intern

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif that and probably a big old refrigerator.....Best of Luck with this. Sounds like you are going to be baking and decorating for days...

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 8:15pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by what_a_cake

If I were you:

Up to 2 weeks before make cupcakes pour batter in paper caplets accommodated on a tray and place on freezer, once frozen ziplock them.
Next, do the same process with molds for the topsy-turvy. Cover tight with saran wrap, freeze.
Next bake cake and roll balls. Freeze on trays, when frozen ziplock.
Prepare fondant or gum-paste decorations as needed, air dry or keep between layers of saran wrap.

On the third day before the event take balls out of the freezer, dip, sprinkle and back to refrigerate.
That night take cupcakes and cakes out the freezer, accommodate on trays and let sit on refrigerator.
Next day before (day 2 before event) bake the cakes, let cool and prepare for carving put back on freezer
Bake and let cool cupcakes
Decorate cake balls (swirls, pipe or second partial dip)
Ice and toppers on cupcakes
Dedicate day before to carve, cover and decorate topsy-turvy

Hope this planner is of some help icon_smile.gif GOOD BAKING!

wow...this is a nice timeline!

Actually, I would make a change on the topsy-turvy. You don't want to fill, cover and decorate all in the same day. You actually want to carve and fill the cake 2 days before and let the cakes settle over night, to make sure for no bulging. Then the next day I would cover and decorate so this leaves room for error in this process as well.

Good luck to you! thumbs_up.gif

DivaWeava Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DivaWeava Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 9:21pm
post #9 of 12

Thank you to everyone who has replied! I definitely have enough freezer space, it's just finding the time to get everything done. I am grateful for the timelines that a few of you provided. I will be using them to help me budget my time. I have a few days in the middle of October that I will be able to work on the cake balls and mini's, so I think that everything will turn out great!

Thanks again for all of your advice!

P.S. I'd so LOVE and unpaid intern!!! Wondering where I can get one of those! (0:

Jaycee

ILoveDaffodils Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILoveDaffodils Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 9:39pm
post #10 of 12

It sounds like you already got some great practical advice so I will just say good luck. If I were in your area, I would be an intern - your cakes are beautiful - I know I would learn a lot.

erin2345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin2345 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 2:29pm
post #11 of 12

I would be worried about the mini cupcakes. I know myself, and many others (i think there are threads on here) have a problem with the cupcake liners coming unstuck from the mini cupcakes. I always make extra minis when I need them, bc at least a third of them are ruined bc of liners peeling off. I have no idea why this happens, as it doesnt happen to my regular sized cupcakes.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 4:32pm
post #12 of 12

I don't put my cake balls in the fridge-no need- and you chance haning an issue with condensation when they come out putting spots on the chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%