What Do You Use For Cake Boards?

Decorating By carebearlove Updated 26 May 2017 , 11:52am by AndyStaffan

lolarx8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolarx8 Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 3:22am
post #61 of 76

I love all these ideas I see, but what is Press and Seal? Never heard of it before.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 1:54am
post #62 of 76

Yes, I was always "saving" some kind of animal or another and my dear, patient mother was truly an enabler. In fact, one time she got me a rabbit because I had never had a rabbit. (You know, I don't recall ever asking for a rabbit. We decided it was because she had never had a rabbit.) Consequently, I have searched the basement for baby snakes that had escaped my sons' terrarium and given mouth to mouth to a beloved chihuahua, splinted broken wings, and generally been a push over for any kind of animal in distress.

As for rocks, I truly hear you! My dad minored in mining engineering and when I was a child, we were members of a local rock club. I was always collecting and one of my favorite Christmas gifts was a small saw and tumbling unit. I cut and polished nearly every rock around. On one airline trip he even paid overage on my luggage which was crammed full of rocks I had collected. So, I get it from both sides! Your kids are very fortunate to have your understanding and enthusiasm. 

Incidentally, I see you are in Kentucky. I was born in Louisville, although left as an infant. Still my parents taught me "Here's to old Kentucky, the land where I was born; where the corn is full of kernels, and the colonel's full of corn!" Just tossing that out for what it's worth. lol.

But back to cakes: I made a number of veiners for the leaves, using of course, the real leaves. I also made a number of cutters, but some of them I just cut freehand from the veiners' impressions. Thanks for the compliment. I absolutely love gumpaste. It gives me great satisfaction when something works like I picture it in my head.

Press'n Seal is a plastic food wrap the adheres to itself. It is handy for snugly wrapping food items for freezing, (among other things), as it conforms to the shape, excluding any air. It is made by Glad Wrap. (www.glad.com).

Jan

docofthedead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
docofthedead Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 7:37am
post #63 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo2222 

Does anybody attach feet to their boards or something else to make it easier to pick up the board? If so, what do you use?

I have made a board out of plywood and attached clear glass doorknobs (they look vintage) as the feet.  It looked amazing when it was finished! 

2kats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2kats Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 6:55pm
post #64 of 76

Does anyone know where to get fancifoil for cheap?  I use cardboard cake circles and cover them in the fancifoil but it is getting so expensive, need to figure something else out.

SaltCakeCity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaltCakeCity Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 7:04pm
post #65 of 76

I actually bought some strong silver wrapping paper from Costco during Christmas time and use that now. Works great!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 7:28pm
post #66 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaid42 

Incidentally, I see you are in Kentucky. I was born in Louisville, although left as an infant. Still my parents taught me "Here's to old Kentucky, the land where I was born; where the corn is full of kernels, and the colonel's full of corn!" Just tossing that out for what it's worth. lol.

But back to cakes: I made a number of veiners for the leaves, using of course, the real leaves. I also made a number of cutters, but some of them I just cut freehand from the veiners' impressions. Thanks for the compliment. I absolutely love gumpaste. It gives me great satisfaction when something works like I picture it in my head.

Press'n Seal is a plastic food wrap the adheres to itself. It is handy for snugly wrapping food items for freezing, (among other things), as it conforms to the shape, excluding any air. It is made by Glad Wrap. (www.glad.com).

Jan

I was born in AZ, but lived in IN, and KY and back to AZ several times before I was 9, I lived in Louisville, too. Went to Slaughter Elementary :-P I LOVE KY, it is home! I can't see ever moving, and my DH moved from OH to KY for me. He had always thought KY was for im-bred, redneck, trailer trash, but he loves it here too!

The leaves are really great! I did a dummy with a bunch on gum paste leaves, and used luster dust. I really liked them until I saw yours ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by docofthedead 

I have made a board out of plywood and attached clear glass doorknobs (they look vintage) as the feet.  It looked amazing when it was finished! 

I match my knobs to the cake! Sometimes wood, and sometimes painted wood, or brass or stainless steel. Never tried glass, how much did those set you back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kats 

Does anyone know where to get fancifoil for cheap?  I use cardboard cake circles and cover them in the fancifoil but it is getting so expensive, need to figure something else out.

You can order it online for cheaper than local. I get mine for about $8 a roll, and it lasts a while! It is about a penny per linier (sp?) inch, so 16 cents for a 12" drum.

pennyemer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pennyemer Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 11:46pm
post #67 of 76

I really love where they use a cut piece of tree for a cake stand! Love the country feel of it.

SWEET-VIVI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SWEET-VIVI Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 4:00pm
post #68 of 76

Where do you get round shape plywood? (I can find plywood square at Lowes or Home Depot, but I can't find round). Thank you in advance for your response

SWEET-VIVI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SWEET-VIVI Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 4:18pm
post #69 of 76

Really cool!!! Where do you buy round plywood?

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 4:48am
post #70 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokazodo 

I'm a frugal chick, CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP!

I hit the area stores for clean cardboard. Something that hasn't sat on a floor or contained anything nasty like flea spray!(I like paper towel boxes!)
It's Eco friendly!

I cut the size I need and cover it with white freezer wrap, shiny side up.
Lately, I've been trying to attach a ribbon to the outside edge of the cake circle. I've seen where some folks have covered their circles with some scrap booking paper, then covered with plastic. They look wonderful, but I haven't figured out how to do it. I can't get my plastic wrap smooth with out wrinkles.

HTH

Might be food grade shrink wrap.  Mine is from Michael's.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 6:24am
post #71 of 76

Originally Posted by tokazodo 

I'm a frugal chick, CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP!

I hit the area stores for clean cardboard. Something that hasn't sat on a floor or contained anything nasty like flea spray!(I like paper towel boxes!)
It's Eco friendly!

And I am correct in assuming these are only for cakes you consume? Surely you don't do this with paying customers? icon_eek.gif

MUDDY828 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MUDDY828 Posted 10 Nov 2013 , 7:18pm
post #72 of 76

I love the scrap bin at the local lumber yard, you can get nice Plywood and they will cut it to a size you need. I just did this lighted cake on a 37x24 inch plywood board I purchased for 2.00

http://3amigostravelblog.blogspot.com/

MUDDY828 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MUDDY828 Posted 10 Nov 2013 , 7:26pm
post #73 of 76

If I'm doing a special project I use plywood. Scrapes at the lumber yard are dirt cheap. this board was <1.00 I brought it home and cut my image out with a jig saw. I covered that with cake board, and yes of coarse clean the plywood I use bleach water then let it dry.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 5:06pm
post #74 of 76

AI love the bare foot in the pic. Very professional, lol.

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 5:49pm
post #75 of 76

AGreat ideas I need to try some!!

AndyStaffan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AndyStaffan Posted 26 May 2017 , 11:52am
post #76 of 76

Give our rigid boards a try!smiley

http://www.buycakeboards.com

Thanks, Andy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%