Anyone Used A Heating Core For A 3" Cake

Baking By vincenta Updated 21 Sep 2010 , 2:36pm by scp1127

vincenta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vincenta Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a 12x3" round chocolate cake for a baby shower and I think I will have to use about 12 or more cups of batter for this cake... I am worried about the center not baking through so today I went out to buy a heating core and it is huge and will make a large hole in the cake. The instructions on the box is to fill the core 1/2 way up so when you remove the core from the cake you have that piece of cake to reinsert where the hole is made. This makes me very nervous.. previously for a 15x11 cake I used 2 metal nails and it took longer to bake but it was okay. I also use the baking strips around the pans so that helps with the end result.
I know this forum is very experienced so I am hoping someone will give me some idea on what to do... thanks

5 replies
Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 6

I have used the cores and I personally don't like them. I prefer the flower nails and baking strips together. For a cake that big I usually make a "t" in the middle of the cake with the flower nails...usually about 5 or more and I also use the strips. I start with the temp low about 300 for the first 20 minutes or so and then turn it up to 325.

Others have had success with the cores...I have not. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:

beenie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenie51 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

I have used the cores and I personally don't like them. I prefer the flower nails and baking strips together. For a cake that big I usually make a "t" in the middle of the cake with the flower nails...usually about 5 or more and I also use the strips. I start with the temp low about 300 for the first 20 minutes or so and then turn it up to 325.

Others have had success with the cores...I have not. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif
Quote:
Quote:

I have used the flower nails and baking strips for my larger layers also with good results.

vincenta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vincenta Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:07am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks a lot... I will use the nails in the T formation. The core made me very nervous - I knew I would get some great tips here.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 4:36am
post #5 of 6

Your welcome icon_smile.gif I'm sure others will say its not necessary to put that many nails, but I on the other hand have had really good success with that method. I just want to make sure that I get that even bake throughout a big cake. And just remember that a 3" deep cake will take a lot longer to bake. I also bake in 3" deep pans and they do take forever to bake.

Good luck

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:36pm
post #6 of 6

I have used the core and the nails... both with bake strips. Don't be afraid of the core. It will fit in the hole. You can secure it with icing if you are worried. It is a heat diffuser... it gets hotter and cooks the center of the cake as if it were on the edge, just like the nail, only more surface area, so more heat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%