How To Make Branches..

Decorating By Katyscc Updated 20 Sep 2010 , 8:28pm by sugaah

Katyscc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katyscc Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 7

I wanted to make a tree. I want it to be smooth and curvy. Do I make the branches out of fondant or a mix of fondant and gumpaste?

6 replies
yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 7

What if you tried modeling chocolate? Or... I forgot what it's called (I've never used it before), but you take melted chocolate and mix it with corn syrup, and it makes it very plyable, like taffy. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? What's that stuff called? If I remember correctly, it doesn't have a very appetizing name icon_biggrin.gif

Katyscc Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you for trying to help me!!

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 7

I'm sorry I can't remember what it's called! I'm wondering if the modeling chocolate would harden enough - are you going to stand the tree up?
Maybe you could make it out of regular chocolate, melted and then piped onto some wax paper. Once it's dry, it would stand up and hold pretty well I would think icon_smile.gif Good luck!

dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 7

It's called modeling chocolate or chocolate clay. It firms up enough to stand up but it gets soft while your working with it so you would need some kind of support under it until it firms up enough to stand on its own.

Katyscc Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 7

I am making a 2 tier cake and just wanted to kind of lay the branch going up the cake. I will try and modeling choc and see how it works thanks!

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:28pm
post #7 of 7

you could try tootsie rolls

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%