How Do I Attach Fondant/gumpast Figure Parts Together?

Decorating By weezercakes Updated 20 Sep 2010 , 2:59am by weezercakes

weezercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weezercakes Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 5

I have been wondering how you attatch the body parts of your fondant/gumpast people together? I have only made one im my life (years ago) and I know that I didn't do it right. The person fell apart. I want to try to make more figures but don't know how to bring it all together. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

4 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 5

Hi, I use sugar glue to attach the figure together. You can buy or make it
your self. Here is a video from Aine2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_1vtYY-wFQ&feature=related

First I make up to the neck and you have to attach the hands when it still pliable. Then I do the head and the rest day after.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 10:00pm
post #3 of 5

I also use a sugar glue, but to make sure the pieces really stick together (like an arm to the torso), I roll a teeny piece of gumpaste, the same color as my body part (haha) and get it wet with the glue. I use the little piece of gumpaste like two sided tape between the body party and the torso. Then... if I don't feel that that's sturdy enough, I roll a super thin piece of gumpaste between my fingers, wet it with the glue, and smooth it into any gaps or crevaces (sp?). That way it makes the hold stronger.

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 5

I use tiny pieces of spaghetti along with a glue of gumpaste dissolved in a little water. The spaghetti is edible and food safe and yet is sturdy. I try to avoid toothpicks because I've had children pop the edible figures in the mouths. Spaghetti = peace of mind. icon_smile.gif

weezercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weezercakes Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:59am
post #5 of 5

thanks for all of the help I will have to just try it and stop being afraid to do so. I would have never thought of using spaghetti, that is genius!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%