The First Cake That I Truely Hate!

Decorating By katies_cakes Updated 19 Sep 2010 , 11:25am by agemyers

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 10

Iv been working on my first carved 3D cake for ages. its finaly finished and i HATE it!! its ment to be a weeping angel from doctor who (a baddie, a statue that comes to life) it doesnt look how i wanted it to, and iv had major problems with it, mainly with the wings, they wont stay in place! iv uploaded it, and hoped someone could give me some advice on how to attatch the wings so they stick out?! I dont think i will carve again after this.

9 replies
eve81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve81 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 10

I dont know why you hate that. Its so artistic and I feel the angst of the angel. I'm from Ireland so i "get" dr who. icon_wink.gif

do you have any bamboo skewers and is the fondant still soft? I'd try to feed skewers through the wings down into the cake to try to help them stand up. maybe 2 or 3 per wing until I had enough support. You'd just have to be real careful.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 11:00pm
post #3 of 10

I think you did a great job of it. Love that you got the statue ''colour'' right on!! icon_smile.gif

theonlynameleft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theonlynameleft Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 11:08pm
post #4 of 10

I made some fondant wings for a barbie fairy cake with added Tylose powder - hardened as long as possible and attached with icing. Maybe could add wires into them as well to give heaps more to hold on with! They wings weren't huge but they stayed on and didn't droop or anything. But I am a total newbie so I am sure others will have some better ways to attack the problem icon_smile.gif

LaurenLuLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenLuLu Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 10

Maybe insert straws into the cake for the wing skewers to fit inside of (so that if they sag they have something hard to push against for a counter-resistance.

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 9:24am
post #6 of 10

Thank you all for your replys. i tried using the skewers but i think the wings are too heavy, they just tore straight through the fondant. its being collected today, so iv re made the wings (for the 5th time! grr) and im going to have to make do with them sagging, i will just have to explain the situation. thank you all again, i cant wait untill this cake has gone, im sick of looking at it now!

sillymoo84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillymoo84 Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 9:29am
post #7 of 10

i think it is really good!

well done!!!

dont give up on the carving!!

lollyponpon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lollyponpon Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 10:24am
post #8 of 10

i'll take a look at your cake now, i'm sure it's not as bad as ur feeling, it sounds like an amazing concept and if nothing else, at least you tried something out of your comfort zone. I only make cakes for "cost" of ingredients every now and then, but the cake i made this weekend i felt like giving away even though it cost me about $45 to make because i just hated it that much!!

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 10:30am
post #9 of 10

I kind of like the wings like that. It helps the angel look "weepish" instead of happy.

agemyers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agemyers Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 11:25am
post #10 of 10

I like your cake I think great job

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%