Sps Help Please! Cake Disater In The Making Help!!!!

Decorating By barnes113 Updated 19 Sep 2010 , 12:24am by barnes113

barnes113 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barnes113 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 2:31am
post #1 of 9

Ok heres the thing, i'm making a 3 tier anniversary cake all bc with damask stencil work, i'm a hobby baker and a lot of the extras i don't have i must order online. So here is the problem i was going to use the sps system and brought 2 plates and 12 column the problem is that i have a 6in and 8in plate i order icon_redface.gif rookie mistake but my cakes are going to be 8in 10in and 14in so the question is, is there anyway i could still want to use the 8in plate and column but what can i use to support the 10in so it won't sink in could i still use the column, i'm sorry for all the questions but any suggestions would be of great help....

8 replies
barnes113 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 3:35am
post #2 of 9

icon_cry.gif HELLOOOOOOOO any one please HELPPPPPPPPP

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 3:41am
post #3 of 9

I think I read somewhere on here that you can use the smaller size plate on the bigger cake (you have a cake board under the cake right?) so I think you can use the 6" plate on the 8" cake, and the 8" plate on the 10" cake. I am thinking this was the solution for someone whose cakes were baking up slightly smaller than the plates and didn't want the plates to show.

also, many of the pros are extremely busy on Friday nights and Saturdays and not so quick to be able to answer-not ignoring you.

anyway Good Luck

barnes113 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 4:23am
post #4 of 9

icon_biggrin.gif ok thank

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 4:28am
post #5 of 9

leahs is the resident SPS expert. I don't know if you can re-title the thread, but if you put SPS in the title, I'm sure you'd get her attention and exactly the answer you need.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 5:02am
post #6 of 9

I would use the 6" under the 8" cake, and the 8" under the 10" cake, no problem. As long as your cake is on cardboard, you'd only have about 1" hanging over - not enough to hurt anything. I've done it before when I got in a bind and didn't have the right size plate.

Good news is this will only happen to you once. Mistakes aren't so bad if they teach you something!

barnes113 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 5:19am
post #7 of 9

arosstx that u sooooo much i really appreciate ur help and ur kind words believe me this has been quiet a learning mistake that i hope not to repeat anytime in the future.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 1:29pm
post #8 of 9

A smaller SPS plate is always OK, as long as the cake is supported by a cake cardboard or foamcore. And on Friday Night, I'm ALWAYS in the Friday Night Cake Club thread, so anyone who's looking for me should pop in there.

Good advice given in this thread!! You guys are all becoming SPS experts. :wipes away tears of joy;;

barnes113 Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 12:24am
post #9 of 9

thank u guys so much for all help and leah_s i bow down u and all ur sps knowledge. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%