Quick Question.... Need Help

Business By jodibug0975 Updated 17 Sep 2010 , 2:46am by kelleym

jodibug0975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodibug0975 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 1:09am
post #1 of 4

A lady that I work with (not a bakery job) runs an illegal bakery out of her home. I have known this for as long as I have worked there and have never said a word.

Today she was working on an advertising flyer/price list at work. I mentioned that it was probably not a good idea to advertise an illegal business.

Now she thinks I am "out to get her." Honestly I don't care what she does, I was trying to keep her from getting into trouble.

Can anyone point me to some of the numerous threads about the people who have been caught and fined so that I can show her that I am not out to get her?

I have searched several versions of "illegal home bakery" and "health department fines" but am having no luck.

3 replies
loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 1:37am
post #2 of 4

I would suggest a list of requirements needed to become licensed rather than a list of people who have been fined. A more positive approach would be better perceived than as if you were out to get her!! In Alabama it is difficult to get a license but other states are easier, I forgot to see where you are!!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 2:06am
post #3 of 4

If she already thinks you're out to get her, I doubt any further communication from you would be received favorably.

The health department usually doesn't hand out fines anyway, unless they are repeat offenders or are especially egregious. If I were you, I would anonymously tip off the health dept...you can wait a few weeks if you're concerned that she will put two and two together. The health inspector will give your co-worker all the information she needs to get legal, and the fact that it's coming from an official source will make the message that much stronger.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 2:46am
post #4 of 4

Since you've voiced your concern, what she does with the information is up to her. No further action from you is needed.

Yes, there is at least one CC members in Texas who was fined for her first offense, but since every state (and the counties within the states) have different rules and ways of dealing with infractions, it probably doesn't help to show her that someone in another part of the country received a fine.

She's a growup, she's been warned. Just let it go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%