Filling Question

Decorating By Levh Updated 17 Sep 2010 , 1:11pm by lam159

Levh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Levh Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 4

I am new to cake making, and am making a cake for a baby shower this weekend. I was thinking about doing a white cake with a white chocolate buttercream filling, and reg buttercream for frosting and then I am doing fondant. However, I was thinking about putting chopped up strawberries in my white choc filling. Can this be done if i cook and deco the cake friday night and leave out and serve on sat afternoon? WIll teh strawberries go bad? Thanks for the help!

3 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 4

Strawberries have a tendency to get mushy, even when they are refrigerated, and they also sometimes bleed quite a bit. Sounds tasty though.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 12:27pm
post #3 of 4

I do strawberries all the time, fresh when they are in season, and frozen the rest of the time. I do refrigerate my cakes, and I use a nice stiff dam. I have had really good luck.

lam159 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lam159 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 1:11pm
post #4 of 4

Levh...i am going to be doing something similiar to what your doing. I made a trial run of it last week to see how I would need to tweek it. I made a chocolate covered strawberry cake with a choc whipped cream frosting for the center. I used what I had left to do a dirty frost on it and then topped it off with choc ganache. I used a strawberry flavoring from a company called Amoretti..they send you all the samples you want for FREE!!! They sent me a 2oz sample of the flavoring. Me, personally...i would have liked to have a little bit stronger of a flavor. So what I am going to do is see if i can find a strawberry preserve (seedless) and use that in the batter and I am going to do the same thing for the center frosting except I am going to add chopped up strawberries to it. I think it should come out really good. At least that is what I am hoping for! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%