Brownie Pop Disaster

Baking By Bakerinhongkong Updated 16 Sep 2010 , 5:53pm by Suzisweet

Bakerinhongkong Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakerinhongkong Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 12:57am
post #1 of 11

I am a complete novice to baking -- ok, I said it. I have big aspirations for my daughter's first birthday. 75 people are coming (OMG).

We did a test run of the extremely cute (and seamingly easy to make) brownie pops. Well, yikes, not good. We used the disc white chocolate as suggested: microwaved for 15 seconds to melt (many times) stiring after each. I pretty much cooked the chocolate.

Take two: used a water bath, same chocolates. I cooked it again.

Take three: used Giradelli white chocolate which actually melted but was instantly too thick (added double cream to make a ganache -- trying to save it). Ok, this worked fairly well.

We dipped the brownie balls into the mixture but the chocolate just ran off entirely. Further, the sticks didn't really stay so this morning, you can't pick them up. They are stuck onto the wire drying rack.

So, advice? Thanks so much.

An American Baker in Hong Kong

10 replies
Cake_Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Bliss Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 1:11am
post #2 of 11

I haven't made brownie popos yet, but I do make cake balls. I usually mel the choc discs on defrost 1 min then stir and the defrost for 30 sec incriments until completely melted. I also have the too thick problem and I will just add a couple teaspoons of shotening and stir and check consistancy. Now with the cake balls I put them in the freezer thentake out dip one end of my stick in choc and stick it in put in fridge and then dip the ball in the chocolate. I use styrophone to stick the sticks in so there is no markings on my balls. I hope this helps. icon_smile.gif ~Angi

Kima920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kima920 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 1:16am
post #3 of 11

My method is very similar to Cake_Bliss. I thin the chocolate down with shortening or veg oil. In order to get the sticks to stay in the brownie you must dip the stick into to chocolate first and then into the brownie. Let them sit for a minute and then dip into the chocolate. I also freeze them first. It helps make the chocolate dry faster. You can also buy a brownie pop mold from Wilton I think to help make the process faster for you since you are new to baking.
Kima

xkfayex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xkfayex Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 1:57am
post #4 of 11

i have made brownie pops and i also make cake pops (if you look in my photos the first picture (of the pops with the black flowers on them are brownie pops).. have you tried using white almond bark? i use almond bark when i cant get candy melts. as for the stick not holding the brownie ball. i dip the bottoms of my brownie ball in chocolate first and then insert the stick and allow that to dry before dipping it completely into the chocolate. i find that it holds the ball onto the stick very well! much better than just dipping the stick in chocolate and inserting it into the brownie ball

also ****paramount crystals*** they are the savior of thick chocolate. you can order it online or you can find it in alot of bakers aisles and stores.. you add it directly to the chocolate. its essentially just purified shortening (it doesn't leave a greasy taste if using the right amount)

hope this helps

Bakerinhongkong Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:16am
post #5 of 11

Your experiences are most helpful. Some of the challenge living in Hong Kong is getting the right ingredients. Selection is limited or sold in a specialty store. For example, I bought Karo syrup for $10.50 (USD) the other day to make petit fours - yikes.

Can someone comment on the proper process for melting chocolate if the microwave isn't an option? I have read various sites but apparently don't have the technique down.

And, while we are at it (first time blogger), I made petit fours the other day and the dripped fondant tasted like Krispy Cream on X. Extremely sweet to say the least. Any thougths on that?

xkfayex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xkfayex Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:38am
post #6 of 11

so sorry.. didn't even think about location!! i have heard of people using chocolate chips as well. they have stabilizers so they do take a while to dry. but i would say the white chocolate you are using is probably sufficient.

i microwave (always have) my chocolate just 20 secs at a time and find it only takes 3 or 4 times to get it melted.. there may be lumps after 3 times, but if you let it sit for a few minutes it will continue to melt down. so i would say wait about 5 minutes after removing from microwave and see how the consistency is. if it is still lump.. go for 15 sec intervals.

also check and see if your mic setting is on high.. that may be what the issue is.

if this still does not work.. try using a crock pot set on the warm setting!

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:26am
post #7 of 11

Hi, at least you are in HK, you get more stuff there than I get here in Shanghai. I try to get there at least once a year, it's my hometown.

White choc has a very low melting point, too high and it can curdle. Best to do it in a double boiler, make sure not to get any steam into the choc, will make it seize up

Heat water, turn off heat and set the bowl of choc over the water, stir, sir and stir. It takes some time, but it does melt, make sure the choc does not get too hot, take it off the pot of water if it does. Freeze the cake balls or anything else before dipping, it firms it up and makes it hold onto the sticks better, I second the sticking the sticks into styrofoam

Bakerinhongkong Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 10:07am
post #8 of 11

All hugely helpful. I will try again and let you know how it works out. I went back to the store to buy more chocolate and they mentioned that the water was probably too hot (still boiling). So, in other words I cooked the chocolate.

I also spoke to a friend who is a professional pastry chef and she mentioned that white chocolate is more complex - better start with milk chocolate.

Ursula40 - yes, I imagine HK to have more than Shanghai - that would be tough. Just found a shop in Yau Ma Ta called I love cake. Very useful.

Thanks all

sabriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabriana Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 10:58am
post #9 of 11

Another thought... if you're in HK - see if they have golden syrup - its widely available in UK - which makes me think it *might* be more available and cheaper than Karo... I use golden syrup instead of Karo (in fact I prefer it even when I return to the states!).

good luck!

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 11:50am
post #10 of 11

Have a look at this article:

http://www.chocolateexpert.co.uk/chocolate-techniques.html

Has some useful information for tempering chocolate and adding shortening if you want to cheat icon_razz.gif

Suzisweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzisweet Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 5:53pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkfayex

as for the stick not holding the brownie ball. I dip the bottoms of my brownie ball in chocolate first and then insert the stick and allow that to dry before dipping it completely into the chocolate. I find that it holds the ball onto the stick very well! much better than just dipping the stick in chocolate and inserting it into the brownie ball

****paramount crystals***

Hi,
Can you explain the above a little better as far as how you are keeping the stick from coming back out, over and above just dipping the stick in chocolate first.

I am so glad that I found this post as I experienced this problem (with the sticks pulling back out) (see "Carmel apples" in my pics) on my experimental cake truffles. Though they turned out nice, when they were picked up to eat the sticks pulled right out on every single one of them. These are for my soon to be cousins wedding the first week of October.
I want them to be perfect for her. One will be at every seat. I hope this method works on wooden sticks as well, as that is what I will be using. I even considered using tiny twigs (opinions???).

Paramount crystals are incredible for the white chocolate. I rarely have problems with regular chocolates but white is almost a guarantee to be to thick on its own. I can get this in bulk bags at a local store that has an awesome bulk section

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%