Advice For Traveling With Decorations, Etc - Challenge

Decorating By hippo_designs Updated 15 Sep 2010 , 1:33am by weirkd

hippo_designs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippo_designs Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:20am
post #1 of 2

I'm planning a vacation to visit my fiance's family in San Diego, CA and I was just asked if I could bake two cakes while I'm there. I want to make some decorations here (in San Antonio, Texas) to take with me on the plane - maybe flowers, maybe a buttercream transfer, maybe a royal icing transfer instead. But I imagine it will be a challenge to bake two cakes with a lot of unknown factors.

How much of my own tools and supplies should I take? How much is allowed on the plane? Is luster dust allowed on a plane if it's under an ounce or whatever?

I know I could buy a lot of stuff in San Diego, but it's probably more expensive than here. Plus I'm used to my local grocery store, my local cake supply store, etc.

Any tips, hints and advice? Has anyone else ever been asked to bake while they're on vacation and staying in someone else's house?

1 reply
weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:33am
post #2 of 2

What I suggest is shipping most of it to the location. That way you avoid the problems with some of things you can and cannot put on the airplane. And CA has different rules for some of the items they sell such as dragees. They dont allow for them to be sold for some reason. But I would ship my tools and supplies and maybe bring the cake portions with me on the plane. Atleast you know they wont get dented from shipping that way. Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%