Red Velvet Cake Without Red Color?

Baking By JulijaDea Updated 15 Sep 2010 , 6:00pm by deMuralist

JulijaDea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulijaDea Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 7

Hi! I decided to make a red velvet cake as a present. I like the taste of this cake, but I don't know if they will like me adding the red color. So my question is: Can I make the cake without adding the red color? Thank you very much for all your tips!

6 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 7

Certainly. The food color doesn't add any flavor. Just call it Velvet Cake!

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 7

there is a red velvet you can make using beets for the color. Also there are "natural" colors you can find online. If you don't use color the cake has an anemic coloring to it, since it is not really a chocolate cake and has too much chocolate to be a yellow cake it ends up being a weird sort of light reddish (from the reaction of the cocoa to the vinegar) brownish color. You could try to find a concentrated color so you could use less. The color that I get from GFS requires about a tablespoon for 3 -9" layers. You may just decide to do another flavor-since red velvet without the red is just an almost chocolate buttermilk cake. A good portion of how something tastes comes from its looks and smell as well as what happens on the taste buds.

JulijaDea Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 7

Hmmm ... didn't know about the brownish color. My problem is that in my country is difficult to find even regular red color, natural colors are impossible to find here. I could order it from the UK but shipping is to high. The other problem is that this cake is not so popular here and I don't know how people would react to it (even if I put beets). I adore the taste and don't mind the color, but people here avoid putting too much color or premade ingredients (ex. frosting) to cakes. We still do it all homemade icon_wink.gif But thank you for your kind reply icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 7

I've done it without the color because I just love the soft hint of cocoa without making it a chocolate cake. Just (like msulli10 said) call it "velvet".

I don't like the coloring either.

Or, you don't have to use a lot of the coloring if you want to, just a little. Pink Cake Box makes a Pink Velvet cake, with just a tiny bit of the red coloring.

http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/qa-pink-velvet-2007-09-25.htm

JulijaDea Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 8:14pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you msulli10 and imagenthatnj icon_smile.gif Maybe making a pink velvet cake is not a bad idea at all. I will try and let you know icon_wink.gif

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 7

the beets do not really change the flavor (I have made a beet cake before, just not in the red velvet), beets are one of the sources of sugar (cane being the other). They do make it moister and a bit sweeter. Here is a blog in which she used beets to make the cake

http://coconutlime.blogspot.com/2009/05/cant-beet-red-velvet-cupcakes.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%