Covering A Cake Box Mix With Fondant...

Decorating By emmer_d Updated 14 Sep 2010 , 4:19pm by emmer_d

emmer_d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmer_d Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 9:21pm
post #1 of 8

I am COMPLETELY new to cake decorating and I have no clue as to where begin. Is a pre-made cake mix from Betty Crocker or Pillsbury too crumbly and light to cover with fondant once it's been baked? Or do I need to make my cakes from scratch and then cover with fondant and decorate? I have very limited counter space so I'm trying to see what's easiest. Thanks so much!

7 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 8

I only use box mixes (I prefer DH) and cover in fondant all the time. Go for it thumbs_up.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 8

Box mixes do fine covered with fondant. If you ever want to make it fancier but still as reliable as a box mix, look for the WASC recipe on this site. It tastes great...I never use the almond flavor in it, just double up the vanilla, but my family loves it. My mom is sure I am baking from scratch.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 10:57am
post #4 of 8

I also use (Betty Crocker) box mixes under fondant. I don't roll my fondant very thick.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 11:50am
post #5 of 8

I use betty crocker, for my chocolate cake everytime, it wins hands down and ive never had any issues covering it with fondant icon_smile.gif , I roll my fondant a little thicker than most do ,and never have problems icon_smile.gif

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 11:54am
post #6 of 8

I use Betty Crocker mixes that are "doctored" and also scratch mixes. I think you's be safe with any cake mix/recipe (except angel of course). Welcome to Cake Central by the way! All your questions should be answered somehow from the wonderul cakers on here thumbs_up.gif

emmer_d Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 2:03pm
post #7 of 8

What does WASC stand for? Thank!

emmer_d Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 4:19pm
post #8 of 8

I figured out what WASC stands for. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%