Which Pans Are Essential?

Decorating By zespri Updated 15 Sep 2010 , 11:52am by Apti

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 8

I currently only have one pan, it's 6.5 inches. I'd like to get some more, but would appreciate knowing which pans are thought of as essential to my kit if I plan on making loads of cakes in the future - which I do!!

As in, which size round, which size square, any other shapes which are commonly used? The round shaped ones puzzle me, I guess I'll have to use a mixing bowl?

7 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 1:41pm
post #2 of 8

I'm a hobby baker, but I have round pans from size 5in up to 12in. I have the squares from 6 to 12. I also have hearts, ovals and hexagons. Plus others.

I'd invest in some basic shapes, at least rounds and squares, in a few different sizes. I like have two of each size. Then you can always add more as you need them or get a demand.

I have over 150 cake pans when you throw in all the shapes and 3d pans, and I hardly use most of them. Many of them have never been used at all. So if I was to do it again, I'd plan my investment alot better.

What do you mean by the round shaped one?

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:03am
post #3 of 8

Hi. I looked at your cake photos, they are darling! You have done excellent work for only 4 classes and practice. Is there a Michaels or Hobby Lobby or other craft store where you live that sells Wilton products? If you are able to use 40% coupons and purchase the pans, that's the cheapest way to go.

Like Texas Sugar, I'm doing this for a hobby but went ahead and bought 2 sets of each type pan so I don't have to take forever to bake 2 layers.

I'd recommend the Wilton (or the Michaels brand: Celebrate It) round pan set 1st. Then if you like, the Wilton hexagon set, petal set, and heart set. Do NOT buy the Wilton square pan set or Wilton UltraGold pans. For the square, buy Magic Line or Fat Daddio's.

If we are talking about the same kind of round pan used for your Kiwi/Moose cake--which was DARLING by the way--- I just use a Pyrex bowl.

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:50am
post #4 of 8

1/4 sheet and 1/2 sheet pans are also essential! Unless it's at a garage sale or specifically requested over and over, do not spend your money on character pans, stick to basic shapes and you can't go wrong.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 5:31am
post #5 of 8

I have multiples of: 4/6/8//9/10/12/14/15/16 round. Currently there are 18 cakes cooling, so I use them a lot.
I also have multiples of 6/8/9/10/12/14/16 square. I don't use those as often.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 6:56am
post #6 of 8

Rounds will probably be your most used pan. I also have multiples of 6" to 16". I have all sizes in square, heart, oval, hexagon. As Madameraz said, don't buy the character pans. I just sold about 20 of them ($5 each) to a lady who rents them out of her cake shop. They were the older, out of style character pans like My little pony, Precious Moments, old style Power Rangers, 101 Dalmations, etc. What a waste of money those were! Oh well, I have lots more space in my garage now! Good Luck!

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 7:55am
post #7 of 8

Thank you for the advice ladies!! And for the ego boost Apti...teeheee!! Pan shopping, here I come!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 11:52am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I have multiples of: 4/6/8//9/10/12/14/15/16 round. Currently there are 18 cakes cooling, so I use them a lot.
I also have multiples of 6/8/9/10/12/14/16 square. I don't use those as often.

18!!!! Good grief! How on earth do you have time to be on the forum (or eat, or sleep, for that matter!)?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%