Another Isomalt ???

Sugar Work By auntginn Updated 12 Sep 2010 , 10:26pm by auntginn

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 3

I make sugar lollipops all the time. Want to try Isomalt and want to know the differences if anybody would be so kind to take the time.

Sugar lollipops can sometimes tend to soften with time. My orders range in the 100's and would like to be able to make and keep them in advance.

Is the difference in Isomalt enough that it will keep them hard for a longer period of time?

Are there any tutorials on working with this?

Thank you in advance, Sorry if this is on the long side.

2 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 9:38pm
post #2 of 3

Isomalt is a very expensive alternative to sugar--$1-$3/lb. It is less hygroscopic, so it doesn't soften or cloud as quickly, but it still gets tacky in humid condition.

It's much harder than sugar--tooth breaking in any thickness--not really as sweet as real sugar, either. It also carries a risk of gastric distress, including flatulence and diarrhea, when consumed in large quantities.

I guess if I HAD to eat it for dietary reasons, I would, but I would never buy a "sweet treat" made out of it.

Rae

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you Rae for this info. It is very helpful. My lollipops are quite large. (3' diameter) and thick. maybe that is why they get soft as well.

Want to get my candy mixture to that super hard stage that all you can do is lick it. Like those swirl pops? Just haven't figured it out in all my years of making them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%