Flower Making Instruction Question

Decorating By ginbug Updated 14 Sep 2010 , 2:50am by Rylan

ginbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginbug Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 11:58am
post #1 of 22

I was reading the instructions for making royal icing sunflowers on the sugarcraft website. I understand that you make the flower on a flower nail....but then it says to let it dry on a flower former.

Is a flower former the same thing as a flower nail?

21 replies
cakeastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeastic Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 12:12pm
post #2 of 22

No- a flower former is like a small plastic cup that you leave flowers (usually gumpaste) to sit in so they dont lose their curved shape and become flat. They also have a tiny hole in the bottom to insert wires into gumpaste fowers. You could see them on Wiltons site.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=93495A8B-423B-522D-FD02409E67214873&killnav=1

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 12:31pm
post #3 of 22

Instead of using the flowers forms I bought this tool that you can place regular foil into, press it together and it creates a form for the flowers. It comes in different sizes and gives you the option to create a lot of them which is great if you have a ton to do. Let me try and find them online.

TheBlonde Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 22

I can't find what they are called but here's some pics of them.

You place the foil in between these two pieces and then close them

and here is why I needed so many icon_smile.gif

shirley1017 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shirley1017 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 22

such a great tip!!! so helpful to me too!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 22

Here's a tutorial on using the nails to make petunias

Hope it helps!
Edna icon_smile.gif

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 3:15pm
post #7 of 22

Here is a ''list of links'' for flower making originally searched out
and posted by 'Rylan'.

Aleli -

TheBlonde Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 3:21pm
post #8 of 22

I was so excited to see all of those links but most of them don't work icon_sad.gif

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 22

you can also sub clean egg carts for the flower former. HTH thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 3:23pm
post #10 of 22

Yes, they are not working and I even forgot to paste mine..lol
I had to edited..Here is again anyways

Edna

bakencake Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 3:26pm
post #11 of 22

bakencake Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 3:26pm
post #12 of 22

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 3:31pm
post #13 of 22

Well that's a real bummer!!! All I did was copy and save the links to my PC.
And copied & pasted them to this forum. icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif

tonedna Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 3:33pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes47

Well that's a real bummer!!! All I did was copy and save the links to my PC.
And copied & pasted them to this forum. icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif

Yeah, its strange that they are not working. Makes no sense.
Edna

ginbug Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 4:42pm
post #15 of 22

Great information!

Here's another question though---if I make the flower out of royal icing, as the instructions suggest---how would I transfer it to the flower former? Wouldn't I squish it?

I have these flower scissors though, that claim to transfer flowers. Would that work?

I have never used royal icing---but it sounds like the best choice for my cake. I don't want to use gumpaste because the cake is for a group of elderly people, and I'll be dropping the cake off early and then heading out. I won't be there to explain not to eat the flowers. At least the royal icing might soften a bit so it won't be completely inedible. Thought about fondant, but my fondant work hasn't been great. This is the first cake I'm doing that isn't for forgivable family members (who tend to just appreciate the thought), so I want it to at least have a chance...

icon_smile.gif

mommafixit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommafixit Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 4:57pm
post #16 of 22

Ginbug you use small squares of wax paper. Then you'd let the royal icing flower dry hard and pull it off the wax paper.

tonedna Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 6:58pm
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginbug

Great information!

Here's another question though---if I make the flower out of royal icing, as the instructions suggest---how would I transfer it to the flower former? Wouldn't I squish it?

I have these flower scissors though, that claim to transfer flowers. Would that work?

I have never used royal icing---but it sounds like the best choice for my cake. I don't want to use gumpaste because the cake is for a group of elderly people, and I'll be dropping the cake off early and then heading out. I won't be there to explain not to eat the flowers. At least the royal icing might soften a bit so it won't be completely inedible. Thought about fondant, but my fondant work hasn't been great. This is the first cake I'm doing that isn't for forgivable family members (who tend to just appreciate the thought), so I want it to at least have a chance...

icon_smile.gif

Why would you transfer and risking it loosing shape when you can make it directly in foil or wax paper and let it dry withouth it loosing it shape at all.

It's easier to make it directly in the place that holds the shape that you need.
Edna icon_smile.gif

ginbug Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 7:52pm
post #18 of 22

Do you put wax paper on the flower nail, and then transfer it to a flower former, or just make the flower in the former, and skip the flower nail?

I'm just confused, since the sunflower directions (as well as some other flowers I looked at) say to use flower nail #7, and then let dry on flower formers. It seems to indicate some sort of transfer, but maybe there's something I'm not understanding...

This is probably really easy, and once I understand, I'll feel silly...

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 8:12pm
post #19 of 22

check out this website:
http://www.wilton.com/technique/Sunflower

If you click on the words flower nail No. 7 and flower former set in the list of tools, you'll see what they are.
Basically you pipe onto a piece of waxed paper on the flower nail, then transfer your flower on the waxed paper to the flower former (or egg carton if you prefer) so it can dry and it will have a curved shape.
HTH thumbs_up.gif

ginbug Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 8:51pm
post #20 of 22

Awesome---thanks!

tonedna Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 10:01pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginbug

Do you put wax paper on the flower nail, and then transfer it to a flower former, or just make the flower in the former, and skip the flower nail?

I'm just confused, since the sunflower directions (as well as some other flowers I looked at) say to use flower nail #7, and then let dry on flower formers. It seems to indicate some sort of transfer, but maybe there's something I'm not understanding...

This is probably really easy, and once I understand, I'll feel silly...

This is how they are used.

Edna thumbs_up.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 2:50am
post #22 of 22

Check out the link on my signature. It should direct you to the flower thread and the links should work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%