Satin Ice Emergency Please Help!

Decorating By Destinys_Delights Updated 13 Sep 2010 , 6:32am by adventuregal

Destinys_Delights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Destinys_Delights Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 1:47am
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone, I just got two 5lb buckets of Red & Black fondant yesterday for tonight, cake is due 10am tomorrow. Both of them are so dry that any bend and it cracks icon_mad.gif , has this happend to anyone else or does anyone have any tips to fix this. Thanks so much for your help icon_cry.gif

8 replies
delaware Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delaware Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 1:49am
post #2 of 9

Did you try adding some shortening to it?

Destinys_Delights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Destinys_Delights Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 1:54am
post #3 of 9

I used shortening to roll it out and alittle while kneading but not alot how much should I try adding?

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:04am
post #4 of 9

Add a little at a time until it gets to the consistency you are happy with. I don't usually find Satin Ice dry when I first open it. It's usually too soft.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:09am
post #5 of 9

This was a trick someone on CC once shared with me regarding softening hard fondant

Try putting it in the microwave but only for a few seconds at a time... then knead it.

I agree msulli10 Satin Ice is usually to soft for me, I usually let it sit for a while after pulling it out just to firm it up a bit.

HTH

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:24am
post #6 of 9

This happened to me last week. I bought some green Satin Ice and it was horribly dry! I just added shortening until it was the right consistency. I ended up with a perfectly covered cake - it all turned out okay.

Good luck - try the shortening!

cakeastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeastic Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 8:37pm
post #7 of 9

That happened to me too with a 5lb bucket
I guess ill try adding lots of shortening next time icon_eek.gif

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 11:44pm
post #8 of 9

That's strange - usually their colors (especially red and black) are sticky and softer than ivoryor white. BUT...I had a recent problem (2 actually) with 4 buckets of ivory and have been in touch with SI directly. If it is causing you alot of trouble, call them and discuss it. Their website is www.satinfinefoods.com and talk Joyce - she is very helpful.

Good Luck!

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 6:32am
post #9 of 9

I've decided Duff fondant is way too soft. So I feel your pain tonight-in the opposite way icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%