Wedding Cake Questions

Decorating By Edee Updated 16 Sep 2010 , 4:16pm by Edee

Edee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edee Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 7

I have a wedding cake (will be my 2nd one) and a birthday cake due both on the same weekend. The wedding cake to be covered in buttercream, and the birthday cake to be covered in mmf.

So my question is How far in advance can I make the cakes and leave it out (not refridgerated) before it goes stale? I don't want to do them too early or run short on time.

Also, on the wedding cake, its 3-4 tiers high, double layers with ribbon and borders all stacked on top of each other, do you all set the cake up at the place and then pipe your borders- transport seperately or do you do it all up in advance and transport completed?

thanks for any help you can give.

6 replies
kweenofengland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenofengland Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 7

I would have the same question about making the cakes in advance, but I transport the cakes seperate and stack on site and pipe on borders. For me it would be too risky to transport stacked, but then I see the TV shows (Cake Boss, Etc) do it all the time. no way for me!

I think i would make the bday cake first assuming they are both for saturday. I think the MMF helps hold the moisture in the cake more. i would make it Thursday night to be eaten on Saturday. Wedding cakes i think I would make Friday. But I am no expert! actually when i say 'make' i mean decorate. I actually bake my cakes the weekend before and freeze them. that helps me juggle cakes, kids and full time job. each night i make something new. wednesday night - MMF, thursday night - BC friday morning- lay out cakes, friday night/saturday morning decorate cakes.
I feel like i have rambled and probably not helped at all! good luck!

LisaStephens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaStephens Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 7

To me, it is much less stressful to transport everything that you need and to assemble on site. That is what I did for my last wedding cake (it was 4 layers). Of course I was fortunate in that I had early access to the site and there was an attached kitchen to work in when I had to mix my buttercream.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweenofengland

I would have the same question about making the cakes in advance, but I transport the cakes seperate and stack on site and pipe on borders. For me it would be too risky to transport stacked, but then I see the TV shows (, Etc) do it all the time. no way for me!

I think i would make the bday cake first assuming they are both for saturday. I think the MMF helps hold the moisture in the cake more. i would make it Thursday night to be eaten on Saturday. Wedding cakes i think I would make Friday. But I am no expert! actually when i say 'make' i mean decorate. I actually bake my cakes the weekend before and freeze them. that helps me juggle cakes, kids and full time job. each night i make something new. wednesday night - MMF, thursday night - BC friday morning- lay out cakes, friday night/saturday morning decorate cakes.
I feel like i have rambled and probably not helped at all! good luck!

Great schedule! That's what i would do, too

kweenofengland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenofengland Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks Dee! Just doing what works for me!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 8:41pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edee

How far in advance can I make the cakes and leave it out (not refridgerated) before it goes stale?

It won't go stale as long as it's iced and the air can't get to the cake inside. The icing helps to seal in the cake's moisture, which can grow mold in about two weeks.

Edee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edee Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:16pm
post #7 of 7

thank you all for your help.

kweenofengland- thanks for your timeline, it helps alot!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%