Am I The Only One Who Doesn't Like Belly Cakes?

Lounge By anxietyattack Updated 14 Sep 2010 , 10:34pm by angelwings1

anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 35

I just find them so morbid!!!! What will it look like after people start cutting into it and serving the cake???? I think they look amazing and there are a lot of really neat ones out there but the aftereffect kills me icon_razz.gif

34 replies
juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 35

cannot agree more thumbs_up.gif

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 35

I assure you, I loathe them.

Pastrydiva72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrydiva72 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 35

I'm working on one right now for a baby shower cake.. icon_smile.gif I think they are unique looking.. icon_smile.gif

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 35

I don't find anything appealing in them. Its just my personal opinion. Then again, I don't see anything cute in the alot of the styles that pregnant women wear either. I think walking around with your pregnant belly exposed, and your belly button about to outwardly explode looks so not classy. I guess I'm showing my age! lol.

erin_e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin_e Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 12:03am
post #6 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvpeeks

I think walking around with your pregnant belly exposed, and your belly button about to outwardly explode looks so not classy. I guess I'm showing my age! lol.

You're not showing your age! you're just showing that you have taste and sense! i think its horribly disgusting to have your stomach hanging out whether your pregnant or not! I always tease with my husband that they need to "put that away" and I'm 26 thumbs_up.gif ! It just looks trashy to me.

I also don't like the belly cakes...they kind of creep me out. I don't really like cakes that are shaped like babies either...they give me the willies lol!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 12:21am
post #7 of 35

Cartoon characters, yes; realistic ones, no.
I'm no cannibal.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 1:10am
post #8 of 35

I don't mind the belly cakes with a pretty dress over the belly decoration, I do object to the one I saw (here on CC no less) that had the belly part looking like it was cut open and you could see the fetus. Now THAT was truly disgusting! icon_confused.gif

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:26am
post #9 of 35

Nope, you're definitely not alone. Even the nicest ones gross me out, on several different levels; there's those huge belly buttons, the whole headless, limbless torso issue and cutting into body parts. Just not my thing.

I also don't get the shoe on a cake trend either. icon_lol.gif I do admire the skill involved in making gumpaste shoes but the visual (for me) is a bit nasty. A shoe on my dessert? No thanks!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 5:34am
post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I don't mind the belly cakes with a pretty dress over the belly decoration, I do object to the one I saw (here on CC no less) that had the belly part looking like it was cut open and you could see the fetus. Now THAT was truly disgusting! icon_confused.gif

WHAT??? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif That actually sent a chill through me!!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 5:42am
post #11 of 35
Quote:

Okay you cant put a statement like that without a link to the pic !!! icon_surprised.gif

And yes.. I must say that I dont like them, pretty yes, icky to eat.. OH YEAH.. but much worse is the cakes made to look like real babies.. hmm..just need some fava beans.... icon_lol.gif

kansaslaura Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 5:52am
post #12 of 35

Ok, curiosity got the best of me so I went searching.

This isn't a belly cake---it's actually a fetus cake.

I thought poop cakes were bad.. this is REALLY bad. I have no words....

http://cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1631406.html

Pastrydiva72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrydiva72 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 6:42am
post #13 of 35

^ I agree....now that is gross! LOLOL

juststarted Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 7:46am
post #14 of 35

that fetus cake is beyond disturbing. icon_eek.gif

anxietyattack Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 12:12pm
post #15 of 35

OMG the fetus baby is soooo gross. It does not make me think happy thoughts. The first thing I thought of was a still born baby!

lol, just so you know I'm not normally such a disparaging person but the cakes are leading the way lmao!

Elcee, you are sooo right! I didn't even think about the whole limbless thing!!!! *shudder* hahaha. I'm not a fan of the shoe either. I agree that the talent exhibited is awesome but still...

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 12:32pm
post #16 of 35

The fetus cake I saw I didn't want any part of so I didn't mark it (thankfully!) icon_lol.gif It was just as disturbing as the fetus cake kansaslaura showed, but this one was "in" the belly cake! icon_eek.gif It takes a lot to make a truly disturbing cake, but that one won the crown! icon_rolleyes.gif

kansaslaura Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 12:44pm
post #17 of 35

You know how people want certain pieces of the cake, especially kids?? I want the piece with flowers, I want the corner..I want the piece with my name!!

...I seriously doubt anyone yelled.. I want the cord..... tapedshut.gif <<as close as I could come to I think I'm gonna loose it...

Dark humor.. I know.. Sorry.. hangs head

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 12:48pm
post #18 of 35

I am so happy to hear there are others who find the whole belly/baby cake phenomenon disturbing. I am just thankful no one in my family has ever asked for one.

erin_e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin_e Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:50pm
post #19 of 35

I told my husband when I get pregnant if any of his family thinks its a good idea to get me a belly cake he will be paying for not telling them otherwise by sleeping on the couch for the remainder of the pregnancy!

My sister does cakes as well so I know that before anything was actually created for a shower with my family I would be consulted and I would put a veto on that before the word "belly" was even finished coming out off her mouth! lol But thankfully my sister knows me well enough to know that I would look at that and say "uh, no"

juststarted Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:11pm
post #20 of 35

I don't mind the molded baby toppers because it looks cute and parents can just remove it before serving and save it for the keep sake, but what's the deal about cutting into a baby bum or a belly with fetus!

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 4:09pm
post #21 of 35

I think I know the cake that Bob was talking about. But this other cake with the link. EEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW! I could not have eaten that, could you? And I was a nurse! I'm surprised noone has made a cake depicting the actual birth! Just picture it. Table, stirrups, legs, baby's head, you get the picture. Yuck. Or how about a c-sectiion cake?
I hope I didn't give anyone any ideas! lol.

q2wheels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
q2wheels Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 4:43pm
post #22 of 35
Quote:
Quote:

[quote="tesso"]
Quote:

Okay you cant put a statement like that without a link to the pic !!! icon_surprised.gif

It was on Cake Wrecks.....saw it just this week:

http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2009/09/happy-labor-day.html

Truly disturbing!!

anxietyattack Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:40am
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_e

I told my husband when I get pregnant if any of his family thinks its a good idea to get me a belly cake he will be paying for not telling them otherwise by sleeping on the couch for the remainder of the pregnancy!

Lol, if you end up being anything like me you'll want him to sleep on the couch anyway!!!! Either that or by the end of the pregnancy he'll want to hahaha. I had soooo many pillows in bed with me there was no room for my hubby to move icon_rolleyes.gif

He's a saint for putting up with Prego me hahaha.

I love cakewrecks btw. One of her older posts shows a belly cake or a baby cake or something being cut up *shudder*

beenie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenie51 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:54am
post #24 of 35

I have done a belly cake for a co-worker per her request and everyone loved it. it was tastefully doneI however, could not and would not do one that the belly is hanging out or any baby parts coming out of the belly. That would be utterly disgusting.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 3:59pm
post #25 of 35

I can't stand those either! I hate it when they have the belly button or the baby's foot sticking out too...for some reason I find them annoying!

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 8:37pm
post #26 of 35

I thought I was the only person in the world who wasn't a fan of pregnant belly cakes - whewicon_smile.gif I did have to make one (everyone around me seems to love them) and got nothing but wonderful comments so now...I guess they're not so badicon_smile.gif A coworker is dying to get pregnant and wants a pregnant belly cake (it's her absolute favorite) when she does - fingers crossed. It was really really easy to make so I'd do it again for sure.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 9:18pm
post #27 of 35

Yesterday I couldn't open any links from the forums for some reason (add to te ever growing list of problems) but I thought you all were talking about this one:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1604786

anxietyattack Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 1:22am
post #28 of 35

Oh. My. God. Elcee that is... WOW. lol. Wow.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 5:41am
post #29 of 35

Thanks for the links there guys.. I saw the fetal one when I went searching... uggghhh..I am glad the woman who wanted the cake liked it.. just not my style..

Okay..for those who have done bellycakes.. please answer this question for me.. I havent asked before because I didnt want to offend anyone.. but I am going to ask now...curiosity won..

WHY?? why do people make it look like the belly button is sticking out like an alien trying to burst forth?

WHY? why do people make it look like the nipples have met the arctic circle? Was the cake just cold? icon_lol.gif

dont get me wrong.. I can appreciate the time, talent and effort of belly cakes.. just not the rhyme or reason. and especially the hard nipples and alien belly buttons.. icon_confused.gif

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 12:36pm
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

Thanks for the links there guys.. I saw the fetal one when I went searching... uggghhh..I am glad the woman who wanted the cake liked it.. just not my style..

Okay..for those who have done bellycakes.. please answer this question for me.. I havent asked before because I didnt want to offend anyone.. but I am going to ask now...curiosity won..

WHY?? why do people make it look like the belly button is sticking out like an alien trying to burst forth?

WHY? why do people make it look like the nipples have met the arctic circle? Was the cake just cold? icon_lol.gif

dont get me wrong.. I can appreciate the time, talent and effort of belly cakes.. just not the rhyme or reason. and especially the hard nipples and alien belly buttons.. icon_confused.gif

All I can think of is that even though I'm still in my first trimester, my temperature fluctuates all the time. I'm warm, I'm cold, I'm BURNING UP!, I"M FREEZING, etc. That might explain part of that, lololol. And I think most pregnant ladies belly buttons kind of pop out towards the end. *shrug* I'm not that far yet, so I can't tell you.

All in all, a good bra and a belly band can hide all of those protrusions. icon_wink.gif

Oh, and I really don't want a belly cake. I want something that goes with the nursery theme. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%