Glace Question - Black Shadowing Onto White

Baking By OneCreativeCookie Updated 10 Sep 2010 , 3:28pm by bonniebakes

OneCreativeCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneCreativeCookie Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 5

Hi All,

Last night I finished up an order of adorable dalmatian dogs for a new client. This morning, I came down to find that the black had shadowed (bled?) under the surface of the white icing around some of the spots. The shadowing happened only on the parts of the cookie with thinner icing (legs/tails where thicker icing would have run over the edge of the cookie). Even the spots that are near the legs of the dog shadowed in just one direction (instead of from all sides as you would expect if they were just bleeding). So, this is with a modified Toba Glace (little extra milk) with the addition of a fair amount of whitener. The black was mixed several days in advance. Wet-on-wet technique for the spots, wet on set for the ears & collar (I wanted them raised).

Anyone have any thoughts as to why this happened in only one part of the cookie and how to correct it for next time?

I have decided to cut my price by 80% for this order...she is a new client, very well connected in our community and my business is new...it is imperative that the buzz around my business be 100% positive! Even if I lose money on this one, keeping the buzz positive means more orders in the long run.

Any suggestions to keep this from happening in the future would be appreciated!

~Kelly

4 replies
OneCreativeCookie Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 5

Hmmm....trying to post the photo but it won't upload...

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 5

I did a bunch of wet in wet at Easter and found that if both icings are thin, the colors would fade out and into each other a little at the edges. Usually that looked ok, for Easter eggs (and as a dog owner, I note that the edges of spots usually do fade into the surrounding coat a bit -- so you could just consider that an accurate detail!) I think I would try making the spot icing a little thicker and see how that goes.

OneCreativeCookie Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 3:07pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by luddroth

I did a bunch of wet in wet at Easter and found that if both icings are thin, the colors would fade out and into each other a little at the edges. Usually that looked ok, for Easter eggs (and as a dog owner, I note that the edges of spots usually do fade into the surrounding coat a bit -- so you could just consider that an accurate detail!) I think I would try making the spot icing a little thicker and see how that goes.

Thanks! So interesting! My white was thinner than i usually use b/c i'm trying to get a nice smooth finish and the black was fairly thick. The trouble was only where there was not a hefty amount of the thinner white base icing.

I agree that the edges of the spots fade and really, I think they are cute, but since all the spots did not behave the same I think it appears a little like an error...when clients are paying $4.50 per cookie, I know they expect perfection...and so do I! icon_wink.gif

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 5

I'm so sorry that happened to you! I find I have more color bleeding when the icings are different thicknesses... maybe that was the problem?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%