Coloring/dusting Gumpaste Flowers

Decorating By TexasSugar Updated 8 Sep 2010 , 10:25pm by luddroth

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 7

I know everyone does this different ways, but I was just curious.

Pick the one that you would say you do the majority of the time. If it varies please share what the variables are.

6 replies
mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 7

Thanks so much for asking this question! I get confused about which technique to use when, so I'll be interested in seeing the results.

icon_smile.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 7

It really does depend on the flower. If it's a deep color then I'll color the gumpaste and then add shading and texture after it's completely dry. Seems like I keep getting flowers that are mostly white or off white and then have center or tip colors. I also handpaint a lot of my flowers rather than just dust. I like the deep color layered with the dust highlights...if that makes sense.

Cat

TexasSugar Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 7

Keep tthe votes and replies coming!

Thanks Cat for your reply.

I know everyone has their own style and different things work for different people, but it is need to see who does what. icon_smile.gif

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 7

I color the gumpaste and then use the petal dust when the gumpaste is dry. I have used gel colors on dry gumpaste flowers for dots and veins on lillies or orchids after the petal dust. I didn't even know you could put petal dust on gumpaste that was still soft -- what effect does that achieve? I would have thought it would sort of glob up and not go on smoothly?

TexasSugar Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 7

At the convention I have seen Elizabeth Parvu 'paint' her white gumpaste with the the dry dusts while the gumpaste is still fresh.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 10:25pm
post #7 of 7

Interesting! I'll have to experiment!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%