Freezing Cake - Yet Another Question.

Decorating By juststarted Updated 8 Sep 2010 , 8:38pm by juststarted

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 7:05am
post #1 of 5

I know it has been established many times in this forum that freezing cake is a good thing, but I just wanted to confirm - will it also work for the scratch cakes with fruit purees in the batter? (like strawberry cake).

4 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 5

I don't do scratch cakes and I've never put fruit in my batter but I don't see why you can't. Hopefully someone who has done this will come along and give you a more accurate answer.

juststarted Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you yummy, I recently made a scratch strawberry cake, froze it for the first time and it was too dense and chewey. I'am still trying to find out the reason/reasons behind it. For one thing I know is the oven temp was off (low). I just wanted to eliminate the freezing as one of the reasons too. appreciate your feedback.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 5

How was the cake right after you baked it? If your temp was off and the cake didn't bake properly then that was probably your problem, not the freezing. I only do scratch cakes, but don't put fruit in them (use fruit for fillings).

juststarted Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 5

yeah, it was definitely the temp. I even had a collapsed middle as it did not cook properly in the center. just wanted to make sure that freezing had nothing to do with my chewey strawberry cake, looks like temp was the only bad guy. icon_cool.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%