Can I Freeze Leftover Fondant?

Lounge By zespri Updated 7 Sep 2010 , 3:36pm by tigerhawk83

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 6

Hi folks

Is it possible to freeze leftover fondant? If so, would I just wrap it in plastic and bag it? And once it's out and defrosted, what would I do to it to bring it back to it's former glory?

TIA!

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 6

If its commercial fondant, just wrap it tightly and bag it and it's fine on the shelf for 6-9 months. I have no experience with homemade fondant.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 6

I freeze leftover MMF all the time. It works just fine. Use freezer bags so it doesn't pick up fridge odors.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 6

Yes, it's commercial I'm thinking of. I have never made homemade fondant, my mixer wouldn't be able to handle the pace!

As well as just wondering generally about leftover fondant, the reason I ask is because chocolate fondant appears to be disappearing from the shelves here in NZ, and I am wondering if they are stopping the production. Yesterday I saw some in a shop for half price, but it expires in February. It makes EXCELLENT black fondant, so I was thinking of stocking up.

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 9:14pm
post #5 of 6

I use MMF and wrap it several times in plastic wrap and put mine in the freezer. When I need it, I put it out the night before. It dethaws and I work it like I do if I had never frozen it. Good luck.

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 6

Yes I freeze commercial and homemade fondant. If it's commercial, I just leave it in it's original sealed packaging and freeze it. If it's homemade or leftover purchased fondant, I wrap it once in plastic wrap greased with a little shortening, then put that into a plastic ziptop bag; squeeze out as much air as possible (I actually use a vacuum bag) and throw it in the freezer. This may be overkill if you use fondant frequently but I only use it occasionally so I feel better about storing it this way. I usually try to pull it out the night before and let it thaw all wrapped up before I use it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%