Cracking Fondant On My Cake. Delvery In 5 Hrs!!

Decorating By eatcake09 Updated 3 Sep 2010 , 5:31pm by icer101

eatcake09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatcake09 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 5

I covered my cake in fondant last night and it looked good. When I went in to start this morning I noticed it has little cracks all over. They are not deep but still noticeable. I put luster dust on it last night also, but it looked streaky so I left it to finish this morning. Is there anything I can do for the cracks?? What is the best way to put the dust on? I was using a paint brush

Its due in 5hrs!! And its a groom's cake for a rehearsal dinner tonight.

Thanks!

4 replies
BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 5

Hello,

Can you try taking some shortening on your finger and try smoothing them out? If they're not large and not all the way through, this should work! icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

eatcake09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatcake09 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 5

Yeah that's what I was thinking of doing too, I just didn't know.
Well I tried it and it made it worse, the cracks were worse than they were when I posted the first time. I peeled the fondant off and I'll try it again.
Thanks for the input tho icon_smile.gif

Do you know what would have caused the cracking? I don't want to make the same mistake twice...

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 5

if u just didnt notice last night (possibly cause day light always shows these things up!) it might just have gotten dry or stretched as you put it ont eh cake. if the cracks are afterwards, it could be a drying out issue, or that the cake board isnt strong enough, and possible that the cake settled a bit so the fondant moved too.
usually the crisco trick works if the fondants still soft, not when it has skimmed over. you can use water to let down some fondant or just use ri and smooth over any noticable bits as well.
xx

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 5

what fondant did you use. Did you knead it really well, with shortening on your hands. Really really knead it good. Did you make it or buy it. This could help us answer your question.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%